[SOLVED] Upgrade from gtx 1070 to 3060ti no effect?

Nov 20, 2020
Hi,

so today i upgraded my gtx 1070 to a rtx 3060ti but there is no fps difference or increase at all if not even worse than it was before? Does anyone know why? I uninstalled all drivers and installed the proper ones so thats not the problem.
i do have a bad cpu compared to my other components since im slowly upgrading but at least i expected a big performance increase in fps in game. :/
specs:
Rtx 3060ti
Ryzen 5 2600
32gb ram 3000mhz
650w psu

Solution
But wouldnt my gpu be the best upgrade for my system right now? I was considering a cpu upgrade in the future anyway. So do you think returning the card is my best option?
If you want to play new or demanding games at ultra settings then yes a graphics card upgrade makes sense.

If you want the most fps at low resolution low details then as you have found out a graphics card upgrade makes zero difference to fps

Lutfij

Titan
Uninstalled using DDU and then reinstalling the latest drivers manually in an elevated command? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You should look into what the BIOS version for your motherboard is. Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of the board?

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
I think the games you are playing are most likely bottlenecked by the CPU, that is why you are not getting the full potential of the 3060. I read a post on the forum something about leaving the graphics settings at the LOWEST possible. Play the same games with both cards and note the FPS. If the FPS is the same at the lowest settings then it's a CPU issue (don't be mad if I am not correct, only recalling what I remember)

Nov 20, 2020
Uninstalled using DDU and then reinstalling the latest drivers manually in an elevated command? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You should look into what the BIOS version for your motherboard is. Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of the board?
Psu is a cooler master 650watt thats ab half a year old fully gold or something at least it was positive lool. Please dont hate me for this, but i am a competitive fortnite player and i allways play 1080p on lowest settings and i was hoping i could finally get a consistent 240fps in game and now i cant even get that in creative consistent :/

also i reinstalled the drivers just like you said.

Nov 20, 2020
I think the games you are playing are most likely bottlenecked by the CPU, that is why you are not getting the full potential of the 3060. I read a post on the forum something about leaving the graphics settings at the LOWEST possible. Play the same games with both cards and note the FPS. If the FPS is the same at the lowest settings then it's a CPU issue (don't be mad if I am not correct, only recalling what I remember)
But the bottleneck shouldnt be too big right? Also if it was bottlenecking, wouldnt i still see at least a slight fps inprovement? (Which im not)

Nov 20, 2020
I don't care what you like to play personally. Return the graphics card and buy a faster CPU or memory for more fps at 1080p low
But wouldnt my gpu be the best upgrade for my system right now? I was considering a cpu upgrade in the future anyway. So do you think returning the card is my best option?

If you want to play new or demanding games at ultra settings then yes a graphics card upgrade makes sense.

If you want the most fps at low resolution low details then as you have found out a graphics card upgrade makes zero difference to fps

Solution
Nov 20, 2020

Then what should i get instead of a gpu?

Think of it like this. The CPU/RAM determines the best FPS you can achieve. The gpu determines the highest resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. At low settings on a not very gpu demanding game it’s very likely you were cpu limited on the 1070 so upgrading the gpu won’t help.