Question upgrade from ryzen 5 1600x to ryzen 5 3600 no or just ~2fps increase in 1440p gaming?

May 2, 2023
Is it normal that i have no fps increase or just ~2fps increase in 1440p gaming with a ryzen 5 3600 instead of a ryzen 5 1600x?

with the ryzen 5 1600x i had the amd radeon rx 6600, and now with the ryzen 5 3600 also amd radeon rx 6600, but no fps increase or just ~2fps more.

A thing of note about the drivers, unless you never touched them before Zen 2's release, chances are the chipset drivers you have are compatible with the processor.

Drivers tend to support a wide range of hardware, not just a specific one that the installer detects.

Yeah my money's on the video card being the limiting factor since the RX 6600 is more of a 1080p card than a 1440p card.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
you mean my mainboard chipset? where do i update that? and does that change fps?
It can definitely have an impact on CPU performance. But also, did you update to the latest BIOS and reset CMOS after replacing the CPU? That can also affect performance, especially memory performance. You can also improve CPU performance further by enabling PBO in BIOS but really only if you're also using CPU cooler that's a good deal better than the stock one.

Not that any of this will necessarily help much at 1440p where your GPU is probably the bigger limiter. But BTW, it's not uncommon for people to spend hours and hours of tweaking and a lot of money to get even 2 FPS on top of a lot more than you were probably getting. So you won.

Last edited:
Update your bios. For chipset drivers, go to amd.com and go to drivers and you can find the chipset drivers there.

However the other folks are right. If you are running an rx 6600 at 1440p, that card is too weak for 1440p. So you’ll need to dial back to 1080p, or dial down the detail settings. If you had a stronger gpu you’d probably notice more difference. But with the gpu at 99%, the gpu is basically doing all it’s able to do while your cpu is effectively twiddling it’s thumbs wanting something to do.