Upgrade from windows 7 beta to windows 7???

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
So i built a rig a while ago and never bother to put any other OS on it beside windows 7 beta. So i was wondering if it was possible to simply upgrade or in a sense downgrade (windows 7 ultimate beta, to home premium). I think i remember seeing you couldn't. And i guess if now would i get all my programs onto the new OS. would 7 simply replace the beta on the harddrive or would it have to wipe the hard drive. maybe like partition for my used space and a separate for the OS. I feel pretty noobish even writing this. but i've never had to change OS before

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

JohnnyboyC,

You will not be able to upgrade from Windows 7 Beta (or RC) to the final and now current version of Windows 7. The upgrade install requires a pre-existing genuine copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista to be installed. The Windows 7 upgrade will search for the pre-existing code from the previous operating system.

To learn more about the upgrade process with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2tEHwF

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
The Truth, since you never purchased a valid copy of windows, you can't legally use an "upgrade version" according to MS EULA. You'll need to purchase a full copy of windows 7.

Now, if your computer had a valid copy of windows installed before you installed the beta, you can use an "upgrade version" to installed windows 7 over an "in place" beta/RC install. What you would need to do, is called "the custom install option." You won't lose your documents, but will need to copy and paste them from the windows.old folder on C: drive to your new document, music, videos ect. folders of your new windows 7 install. Your programs will need to be re-installed completely.

It's a myth that a valid copy of xp or vista must be installed at the time of the "windows 7 upgrade," to comply with MS EULA. You must own a valid previous copy windows for that computer, it doesn't need to be actually installed at the time of the upgrade to windows 7.

This if from a MS big wig: http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2009/10/27/regardless-of-what-any-hack-says-a-windows-7-upgrade-is-an-upgrade-what-you-need-to-know.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
thanks everyone I guess i wasn't really looking for an upgrade more of avoiding have to reinstall everything for near identical OS systems and backing up everything but i guess that's unaviodable. But at least i'm a student discount