Question Upgrade GPU first, or save and upgrade both GPU and CPU at the same time?

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
96
0
18,630
0
I imagine any new gpu's will have been delayed massively due to problems caused by the coronavirus. Also with the extra free time stuck inside was thinking now is a good time to upgrade my PC but can only really afford to upgrade either the GPU or the CPU (including motherboard and RAM) .
Current Specs:
i5 4670k
8GB DDR3 RAM
Gtx 780
I've got my eyes on an RX 5700XT at the moment and I am looking to be playing at 1440p. Since my PC is quite old now, was wondering, would my CPU would bottleneck this new GPU? would I be better off just sticking with what I have for now and upgrading both at the same time later this year, when some new stuff could be announced?
 

Iniaskle

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
288
25
720
4
The RX 5700XT is a great 1440p card, own it myself :). So, they will bottleneck but not that much. You will not be able to get the full power out of your GPU but the RX 5700XT pairs really well with a ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 if you have the money for it. This means that you will have to upgrade the motherboard as well you should also upgrade that ram because it's DDR3 and for ryzen do not work. So it's and expensive upgrade but an upgrade with a huge performance improvement. So it is up to you .
 

david.52.harper

Prominent
Jan 3, 2019
1
0
510
0
If you can wait until June/July the new B550 AMD Motherboards will be out. I'd pair that with a Ryzen 3600X and RX 5700XT if you can afford it. You would also want at least a 256gb NVme SSD to run your OS.
With 16GB of DDR4 memory you are basically looking at nearly a completely new system.

I'd advise saving up and waiting until you can do that. If not just buy a RX5700XT now and slot it into a new system later.
 

Iniaskle

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
288
25
720
4
If you can wait until June/July the new B550 AMD Motherboards will be out. I'd pair that with a Ryzen 3600X and RX 5700XT if you can afford it. You would also want at least a 256gb NVme SSD to run your OS.
With 16GB of DDR4 memory you are basically looking at nearly a completely new system.

I'd advise saving up and waiting until you can do that. If not just buy a RX5700XT now and slot it into a new system later.
In my opinion he does not have wait for the B550 motherboards, a b450 will probably be enough for him
 

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
96
0
18,630
0
If you can wait until June/July the new B550 AMD Motherboards will be out. I'd pair that with a Ryzen 3600X and RX 5700XT if you can afford it. You would also want at least a 256gb NVme SSD to run your OS.
With 16GB of DDR4 memory you are basically looking at nearly a completely new system.

I'd advise saving up and waiting until you can do that. If not just buy a RX5700XT now and slot it into a new system later.
I already have an SSD so dont need a new one urgently. What would be the benefit of a B550 motherboard over a B450?
 

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
96
0
18,630
0
The RX 5700XT is a great 1440p card, own it myself :). So, they will bottleneck but not that much. You will not be able to get the full power out of your GPU but the RX 5700XT pairs really well with a ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 if you have the money for it. This means that you will have to upgrade the motherboard as well you should also upgrade that ram because it's DDR3 and for ryzen do not work. So it's and expensive upgrade but an upgrade with a huge performance improvement. So it is up to you .
Yeah, I am aware if I upgrade the CPU I'll need to buy more than just that, thats why I can only do the CPU or GPU as of right now. Think I may just get the 5700xt soon before stocks go low and prices go up. Im just hesitant becuase of the rumours of Nvidias new lineup coming soon (I'm not brand loyal), but I don't know how long it'll be with the uncertainty due to the virus situation right now. Don't want to buy the new 5700xt and for the nvidia cards coming out by the time I can afford a new CPU upgrade and get the full performance out of the GPU.
 
If I had to guess on a time-frame for the launch of new graphics cards around the $400 range based on current rumors, I would expect them around late summer or early fall, so that could be around half a year from now. Supposedly Nvidia will be revealing their Ampere architecture within the next few weeks, though it will probably be a number of months before they announce consumer graphics cards based on the architecture.
 

Iniaskle

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
288
25
720
4
I already have an SSD so dont need a new one urgently. What would be the benefit of a B550 motherboard over a B450?
Not much at all, the only problem with most B450 boards is that you need an older CPU than the 3000 lineup to update the MOBO bios, The board only supports the 3000 lineup after the BIOS update. So the B550 will probably not need a BIOS update. But if your going with a 2600 for example all that work is not needed.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS