Upgrade help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
For gaming, there is no real benefit in getting more than 4gb of ram unless you have 3 or so other apps running in the background. If you multitask or do media editing sort of applications then you should get 8gb.

Ok, do you remember my first post on this thread slogger? If not scroll up and take a good look at it. It's pretty much the same thing that thekidx is recommending. Use that MSI vid card or the one you chose...both are over clocked, and run about the same numbers. So anyways, if you get everything I posted in that first post your good to go.

It's like this. You have a 700w Thermaltake psu...plenty to push that card, you have a E8400...great cpu, and you have a nice case (CM 690). What you do need is what I posted...that hard drive.. 640 WD black 32mb, the vid card....any gtx 285 will do, that mobo I and thekidx posted...they are the same, and then throw that Xigmatek heatsink in with it including the MX-2 thermal compound.

If you get those items, you are set. Then save the rest of your money for when you decide to build a nice shiny new rig later on...maybe a i7..who knows what will be out then.

No questions are stupid. In fact you asked some very good questions on here. We just don't want to see you spend a lot of $$$ on unneeded hardware. Your going to have one killer gaming rig after you add that new hard ware, and you will have money left over for ...whatever ... :)

slogger1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Yea i do, after rebates i think it will be about 600 so that is nice. Now i am going to have to find out how to OC it also since i really don't no much about it but i will read the link that thekid has above. I prolly still have questions on what to do.