[SOLVED] Upgrade I7-2600 or New System

Rgcraig

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hello All:

I am an old retired guy and have two matching Gateway FX 6860 UR20P systems. The system includes Intel I7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.40 GHz CPU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, running Windows 10 Pro and hard wired with Cat6 cable to Spectrum 200Nbps. Not sure about motherboard, but appears to be American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3 from 2011. I normally work with AutoCAD 2018 and enjoy streaming/recording music and movies. As a retired engineer, I occasionally setup a construction office to manage construction projects, and these systems have two plug in Sata hard drives so I can carry all active files back and forth. So I like this setup.

I have had issues with skipping in movie recordings recently with Audials One. I have been considering upgrading to 6 or more core processor and 32 GB ram, and better Video Cards, but current systems do not appear to support that.

With the smart people in this forum, I am hoping to get advice on the best new build structure that will support my activities. I would like to rebuild in the current cases, but will likely need to go with new. I don’t know AutoCAD, Video and Music will actually need more speed, ram, or Video Cards. It seems at least having more than a 4 Core Processor would be useful. I have always used only Intel Chips, but maybe that is not best.

Any Suggestions on the best components for AutoCAD, Video and Music?

Thank you.

Solution
You're going to have to migrate to a concurrent platform. Since you're on an i7, you're practically on the last leg of the upgrade path. That leg was slightly offset when you introduced the SSD in the specs listed above. As a consolation, you need only look for a PSU, case, ram, CPU and motherboard combo. The SSD can be carried over, though you will need to reinstall the OS so be sure to backup data prior to the migration. If you don't do gaming, you can look into a 5600G APU build.

Side note, please follow the stylizing found on this thread and include the info asked for in this thread as a follow up.

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to have to migrate to a concurrent platform. Since you're on an i7, you're practically on the last leg of the upgrade path. That leg was slightly offset when you introduced the SSD in the specs listed above. As a consolation, you need only look for a PSU, case, ram, CPU and motherboard combo. The SSD can be carried over, though you will need to reinstall the OS so be sure to backup data prior to the migration. If you don't do gaming, you can look into a 5600G APU build.

Side note, please follow the stylizing found on this thread and include the info asked for in this thread as a follow up.

Solution

Rgcraig

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Thanks, I figured I had done about all I can reasonably do to this system, although it has performed well. I was looking at more ram, but I will probably not want to carry over the current ram to a new system.

Rgcraig

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Yes look at newer. One of the newer Intel or new ryzen systems with 6 cores or higher would be a significant upgrade.
Thanks. I will start planning a new system. I know there are a lot of gaming designs floating around which have had some thought. Last time, I purchased a gaming setup thinking that at least they are setup for graphics which matches my AutoCAD and Media interests. Are there significant differences in Gaming vs say AutoCAD requirements? I figure I need good processor, good ram and good graphics. I will start researching a motherboard combo that seems to have potential. Also, another thought, I typically have multiple large hard drives for Movies, Music, and Business storage. If you know a motherboard that supports more accessories like drives, who is best manufacturer?