Question Upgrade media storage just checking

robashby

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
Hopefully a simple question but I have got my hands on a new 1tb sdd for cheap and want to switch it with my green wd which holds media (then use green as a backup).

Any thoughts on the best way to do this would be appreciated? (hoping for the obvious but don’t want to miss anything)

My boot up etc is already on an Sdd.

Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
Hopefully a simple question but I have got my hands on a new 1tb sdd for cheap and want to switch it with my green wd which holds media (then use green as a backup).

Any thoughts on the best way to do this would be appreciated? (hoping for the obvious but don’t want to miss anything)

My boot up etc is already on an Sdd.

Thank you
This is just a secondary drive?

Copy/paste is all you need. No cloning necessary.

Copy the contents from the WD Green, paste to the new drive.
Swap drive letters around so the new drive has the same drive letter as the WD had.

The OS will not know or care.

Reactions: robashby

robashby

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2014
Yes this is just a secondary drive. I have placed some app data on it to keep the OS sdd with more space (can’t remeber official way of saying if but mapped it so it sits on the storage drive even though OS thinks it is still on the c:/ drive). Not sure it this makes a difference but I am guessing not.

I am considering just upgrading the 128gb ssd where the OS is but might wait as it isn’t needed yet.

Thank you for the replies.