[SOLVED] Upgrade old PC for playing Fortnite..

Mar 31, 2020
Zoostorm Tempest PC Spec:
Motherboard: A68HM-E33 V2.
Ram: 8GB DDR3.
Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon R7 1GB.
DVD Dual Layer Writer.
PSU: FSP Group Inc 250W PSU.
2TB Hard Drive.
Gigabit Ethernet.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
USB 3.0.
USB 2.0.

I want to upgrade this old PC if possible. I’m using a Asus monitor VE247 - 1680x1050@60hz...

I don’t know where to start I’ve watched a few YouTube videos etc .. please could someone tell me what components I would need for a basic / cheap upgrade to run Fortnite

Solution
An R7 iGP is part of an A10 APU, IIRC? Maybe an A8 or A6?

For Fortnite at 1680x1050 (16:10), it;s probably playable, but not particularly great.

You could probably benefit from a discreet GPU, but you're going to be limited by the PSU and realistically, the CPU too.

As far as "functional", it could be achieved relatively cheaply.... you might be able to get by dropping something like a GTX750 into it, but I don't know if it's a particularly worthwhile/viable solution.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
An R7 iGP is part of an A10 APU, IIRC? Maybe an A8 or A6?

For Fortnite at 1680x1050 (16:10), it;s probably playable, but not particularly great.

You could probably benefit from a discreet GPU, but you're going to be limited by the PSU and realistically, the CPU too.

As far as "functional", it could be achieved relatively cheaply.... you might be able to get by dropping something like a GTX750 into it, but I don't know if it's a particularly worthwhile/viable solution.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020
It’s playable but not great. I’ve turned the settings down on the game itself but it’s not quite running as good. I would spend about £200 to upgrade any or few components if it’s worth while? Or I might just buy a PS4 and plug keyboard and mouse into console. I’m not very tech - savvy ha or would it be better just to get a new tower???

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As you turn down settings, you're putting more strain on the CPU element.... and it's not a particularly 'good' CPU to begin with.

You'd probably be (slightly) better off increasing settings and maxing out the GPU element.

I would definitely recommend not investing ~£200 into this setup.
You could buy a PS4, if you wanted to go that route.... or even a relatively basic, used tower with a half-decent GPU would outperfom that system. Maybe sell what you have to recoup a bit?

TRENDING THREADS