Question Upgrade options for 1060 6gb for SFF computer?

maxx42

Honorable
Sep 7, 2017
Hello,

I am a casual gamer, where my current PC is a SFF PC with Ryzen 2700 (65W) and a 1060/6GB GPU. My monitor is 1920x1200. Power supply is 450W.

This has been enough for a while. But now I am thinking about upgrade options. One of my current games (No Man's Sky) feels like it's starting to be a little limited with this setup after recent updates to the game.

Looking at upgrade options, I need to be mindful of power (and noise). The 3060 for example might otherwise seem like the direct upgrade path, but power consumption also has gone up with the performance, and it looks like the 3050 might be more of a match in terms of power. It looks like the 6600 may be more of a fit on the AMD side, from a power standpoint. It looks like both offer some performance benefit, but is it really enough?

Any comments on these options or others that I should consider?

Thanks!

Your 2700 is not the fastest chip on the block.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you decide that a gpu upgrade is in order, Look for a biggish jump or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
I am not certain that a 3050 class card is big enough.
But 3050 should run on your 450w psu.
Here is a handy chart for sizing the power requirements of different graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

3060 class cards are going to need more power so you may need a psu upgrade also.
As to switching to amd 6600 and such, stick with nvidia to avoid the learning curve of a new driver environment.

If your games are not fast action shooters, but more cpu centric, a processor upgrade might be more effective.

You could probably get away with an RX 6600. The GTX 1060 has a TDP of 120W while the RX 6600 has a TDP of 132W. I really doubt that an extra 12W will hurt anything. The performance uplift will be huge though, like double the performance of the GTX 1060.

Apr 7, 2023
Get the RX 6600. Great affordable upgrade, and has a similar power consumption with a lot better performance. Better than the 3050, I'd say, as long as your not doing anything like ray tracing or have a need for DLSS. FSR is coming up though, but I don't think anything like that will be necessary.