[SOLVED] Upgrade options

Solution
the TUF 3080 Ti requires an 850w power supply but it's possible to get by with a 750w if you have very low power draw between all other components.
my 750w Dark Power Pro 11 Platinum was fine in a lot of instances but out of those i tested, 2/5 games would just crash the GPU.

the Super Flower Leadex III 850w Gold is currently on sale for $120.
currently available until 10/21 but this sale price has been coming and going for over a month so maybe no need to jump on it ASAP.
has been a great unit so far and just as quiet as my be quiet! was.

considering for a significant CPU upgrade you will also need a new motherboard
and considering that you would be purchasing a new power supply;
i would just take what you really want to keep...
the TUF 3080 Ti requires an 850w power supply but it's possible to get by with a 750w if you have very low power draw between all other components.
my 750w Dark Power Pro 11 Platinum was fine in a lot of instances but out of those i tested, 2/5 games would just crash the GPU.

currently available until 10/21 but this sale price has been coming and going for over a month so maybe no need to jump on it ASAP.

i would just take what you really want to keep out of this system and start a new build with plans to either keep this as a secondary house system or sell it as a complete build.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Oct 20, 2021

i would just take what you really want to keep out of this system and start a new build with plans to either keep this as a secondary house system or sell it as a complete build.
Would a CPU upgrade be necessary or can I just upgrade it later witha new motherboard? And are there any CPU recommendations?

Would a CPU upgrade be necessary
no, that new GPU will still operate with high performance but could be slightly limited by the lack of PCIe 4.0 support.
doubt you'd even notice it though.

also possible that you would notice a slight "bottleneck" compared to those with more powerful CPUs but it should still be a noticeable improvement over your current gaming capabilities.

with a PSU upgrade your system should work fine with the new TUF 3080 Ti.
if you later upgrade both CPU & motherboard to a more modern series you should again see a noticeable improvement in performance.
are there any CPU recommendations?
considering how close Alder Lake & new AMD series are to launching I would wait to see what is offered and how prices fluctuate.