[SOLVED] Upgrade path questions

Dec 25, 2019
Hey all,

I purchased a gaming pc last year, knowing very little about components and what I was getting. It has a tuf gaming b360m-plus motherboard, i5-8400 cpu, 32gb of ram, a 500gb Samsung ssd, 1 TB hdd, and a gtx 1060 3GB gpu.

Originally it only had 8gb of ram and didn’t have the ssd. Those are the only two upgrades it has had.

I have been investigating GPU upgrades, but from what I’m reading it seems my CPU may be marginal with any substantial GPU upgrades. So, being that I’m not very “up to speed” on current pc components and such, I’d like to see what some of you who are certainly more knowledge than me would recommend.

I’d prefer to not have to get into switching motherboards and such, so, I suppose my question is, what would be a noticeable improvement in GPU and CPU for this system? Or is it a scenario where not much can be gained without replacing motherboard as well?

thanks for any input you can provide!

Solution
Something like a GTX1660/Super or the upcoming AMD 5600XT would be a healthy step up, and well suited for your 1080p 144Hz monitor.
Dec 25, 2019
I probably went a bit overkill in comparison to the rest of the system, but, we were in Best Buy earlier and they had a msi ventura 2070 super that I picked up. I have barely spent any time with it yet, but, it runs a higher frame rate so far on Fortnite at max settings than the gtx1060 ran at greatly reduced settings.

I suppose it will be a good enough card to keep up for a while when other upgrades come along.

thank you for your input