[SOLVED] Upgrade prebyilt pc

May 18, 2018
Hey, so my dad bought me a prebuilt pc last year and from the beginning we've had problems with it. For the third time at service they finally fixed it and now the blue screens are gone. But i feel that the pc is running so slow and bad i get like 50 fps on BFV and 200 fps on csgo. So i thought if i can upgrade the pc's cpu, ram and MB and maybe a chassi.

Current components
1070 gpu
Ryzen 5 1400 cpu
8gb ram 2400mhz
Ssd m.2
1tb hdd
Pc called Acer aspire gx-281

What i want to buy
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk
16 gb 2666mhz

Can i do this upgrade and do i need to buy a new PSU?

Solution

Note: Following the steps below may void any warranty you have on this computer.

When you get a chance, shut down and unplug your computer.
With the computer unplugged, press the power button three or four times to release any lingering charge.
Open the Computer case and take a look at the RAM module that is installed. There may be a sticker attached to it that lists the RAM model number. Take note of this.
Replace your RAM module, making sure the retaining clips snap fully closed onto the RAM module.
Close the computer case.
Reconnect the power cable...
If it has a 500W PSU then you will have enough power for everything. Getting a different case wouldn't hurt but it is adding to your costs. Also with the RAM you would want to go with at least 2933MHz as that is officially supported for Ryzen 2000 series.

May 18, 2018
Ok, thanks but the thing is that i've and upgrade package that contained the components i mentioned but rhe ram i mentioned would still work or do i need faster? Need to get a summer job first tho?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Find out exactly what motherboard is installed in that system. The model number might be printed on the board. It would also be helpful to know what the power supply model number is.

While you could probably replace the core system (CPU/Motherboard/RAM), it might be more of a headache than it's worth.

First thing I'd do would be to upgrade the RAM to 16GB. How to do that is going to depend on how many RAM slots are available (motherboard model number helps here) and how many are in use. While it may be possible to just add another 8GB, it would probably be easier to just replace what you have with 16GB.

After that upgrade is complete, test your system again to see if the performance has improved enough. If not, then I'd check to see just replacing the processor is a possibility (again, we need to know the model of the motherboard here). It might be that you can keep your current motherboard and update it's BIOS to allow for a better processor to be installed.

In pre-built systems, you only want to replace the motherboard as a last resort (or unless you're purchasing a new chassis as well).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

Note: Following the steps below may void any warranty you have on this computer.

When you get a chance, shut down and unplug your computer.
With the computer unplugged, press the power button three or four times to release any lingering charge.
Open the Computer case and take a look at the RAM module that is installed. There may be a sticker attached to it that lists the RAM model number. Take note of this.
Replace your RAM module, making sure the retaining clips snap fully closed onto the RAM module.
Close the computer case.
Reconnect the power cable and start the system back up.

Perform a Google search on that RAM Model number to find an exact duplicate of the RAM module you already have.

Due to compatibility issues, even among identical RAM modules, this might not work. This is why I recommend purchasing a 2x8GB RAM kit to replace what you currently have.

Beyond that, I really cannot make any recommendations without knowing the motherboard model number.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
Again, that's up to the motherboard. If you're not overly concerned about spending an extra $20 - $40 for faster RAM, I'd probably opt for a 2x8GB DDR4-3200 RAM kit. Even if your motherboard doesn't natively support it, it should automatically down clock to what it can support.

Otherwise, just opt for a 2x8GB DDR4-2400 RAM kit.

-Wolf sends