[SOLVED] Upgrade question: Put some $$$ into my X99 or go all out new?

Rokhound

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Good day PC Enthusiasts!

My current build was put together roughly 6 yrs ago:

• i7 5820K cpu
  • 4x 8GB DDR4 PC2133 Crucial ram
  • Asus X99-A mobo
  • Gigabyte 970 GTX gpu

I primarily did 3D work with real time rendering in Marmoset and very little gaming. Substance Painter was really the only software that gave me some issues
due to an issue with 970 cards. I originally had planned to get an RTX 20x0 card but held out for 3000 series and well, we all know what happened next.

Since I'm delving more and more into Unreal and Arnold rendering, I'm on the hunt for a 3080 or 3090

But I was wandering at this point, would it be worth it to flat out upgrade my build while at it or just put some money on more ram and the fastest 2011v3 cpu
my mobo can support.

Or perhaps just focus on a new GPU.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
What is the make and model of your PSU? Is it as old as your platform, 6 years? You're better off getting a concurrent platform(complete new build) as opposed to upgrading what you currently have with ram/CPU/PSU/GPU. In fact at this point your motherboard might not even want to cooperate with overclocks past DDR4-2666MHz, provided you can source a ram kit designed for the X99 platform since the new rams are better suited to AMD's and Intel recent platforms(Ryzen and post 6th Gen, Intel).

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your PSU? Is it as old as your platform, 6 years? You're better off getting a concurrent platform(complete new build) as opposed to upgrading what you currently have with ram/CPU/PSU/GPU. In fact at this point your motherboard might not even want to cooperate with overclocks past DDR4-2666MHz, provided you can source a ram kit designed for the X99 platform since the new rams are better suited to AMD's and Intel recent platforms(Ryzen and post 6th Gen, Intel).

Reactions: Rokhound
Solution

Rokhound

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks!