Upgrade Question - Should I go from I5-6600k to I7-8700K ??

Jun 30, 2018
I am thinking that I might want or need to upgrade my current build. Possible upgrading my system to a I7-8700K and wonder if it would be worth it.

My current build.

CPU: *Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: *Samsung - 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: *Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: *OCZ - Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Xtreme Edition 11G Video Card
Case: *DIYPC - VT380-W ATX Mid Tower Case - *Not really my best choice of towers*
Power Supply: *Rosewill - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On - IHBS112-29 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer - *Still works after 8 years*
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit - *Education Version*
Monitor: *Acer - S271HLbid 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor
Speakers: *Bose - Companion 2 Series III 0W 2ch Speakers

My current build listed at PCpartPicker ... The only part I didn't add was the HTC Vive setup in the list.

I mainly play games like the Fallout Series, Elder Scrolls series ... well, mostly Single Player Fantasy / Sci-Fi and MMO's... Also watch video's to the TV (*Dual Monitor Setup to a 4K Sharp TV*) while at times playing games. Also, my system is set up to my network and others in the house can watch movies from my computer

I had tried getting a 4K monitor but returned it after 2 weeks. I was loosing Half my FPS in games at the 4k resolution. Figured my graphics card was enough but i'm guessing the motherboard and using an M2 card had cut the pipelines down.

I'm curious as to what you would recommend or if you think the system is fine for now.

Thanks for any information you can give.

If you're primarily playing Bethesda titles that are capped to 60FPS, there is little benefit in upgrading to the 8700k. If you're trying to push 4K resolution, you will still be primarily GPU bound as even the 1080Ti struggles a bit when it comes to holding 60FPS at 4K with ultra settings in a lot of newer titles.

I did make the jump from a 6600k to an 8700k myself and have run a 1080Ti with both CPUs, and there are gains to be had, but only if you're playing very CPU intensive titles that scale well across lost of threads eg. Watch Dogs 2, Assassin's Creed Origins or Battlefield 1 multiplayer, or you are running a 144Hz monitor and are chasing framerates well in excess of 100FPS. If the games you play aren't very good with multicore scaling or are capped at 60FPS eg. those Bethesda open world RPGs, then there isn't much benefit in the CPU upgrade.