[SOLVED] Upgrade radiator on Alphacool eisbaer 240mm

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Currently running Eisbear 240mm with my 3800x, temps in the mid 80s under full load rendering in Blender. Want to upgrade to 5900x when I can, so I'm wondering if I can swap out the 240mm rad for a 280mm one?
I've been looking at this 280mm rad would it be an easy swap? And would it be enough of an upgrade given ive noticed they also sell thicker 45mm and 60mm rads?
Also considering nzxt x63 or arctic liquid freezer2 both look good but seems like over kill if my current pump is a good one, any thoughts?

Currently running a fractal design r4 which is probably gonna be difficult with a 280mm rad might need to upgrade that as well.

Solution
Pump is about half as powerful as the common high end DDC or D5 pumps used in custom loops. But you are only adding one component, and the head pressure should still let it pump anything around inside a standard ATX case size. Won't have the flow rate, but you would still be increasing surface area a lot.

80C isn't that bad, the key for performance is if getting it cooler will do anything to the clock speeds. From what I have seen of Ryzen overclocking there isn't much headroom to begin with, and they rarely, if ever, reach advertised speeds.

As for the power consumption of the new CPU, better architecture, whatever refinements they could make with the process node, it should be marginally more efficient. Also, you could compromise...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As far as I can tell, all standard G1/4 fittings, so standard hardware will work. Not going to be a huge difference going from 240mm to 280mm, usually the fin density goes down a little. Usually quieter though, so you could run the fans faster and perhaps have better cooling that way.

Probably wait until that CPU is in the hands of some reviewers before you go all out and swap out hardware.

Have you considered just adding to the loop rather than replacing the radiator? You could get another 240mm or 360mm perhaps? Would certainly need a new case for that though.

You can certainly look into a thick 240mm or 280mm, again fin density tends to go down even more, but you can quite a bit of surface area regardless. As long as it doesn't interfere with memory or motherboard heatsinks.

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks for reply, never thought of adding a radiator but I like the idea, doubling surface area gotta bring down temps, presumably my pump is up to it? Or do I need to add an extra pump?
As you say I will wait for reviews but I haven't been that impressed with the eisbaers temps with the 3800x and I doubt a 12core will run cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pump is about half as powerful as the common high end DDC or D5 pumps used in custom loops. But you are only adding one component, and the head pressure should still let it pump anything around inside a standard ATX case size. Won't have the flow rate, but you would still be increasing surface area a lot.

80C isn't that bad, the key for performance is if getting it cooler will do anything to the clock speeds. From what I have seen of Ryzen overclocking there isn't much headroom to begin with, and they rarely, if ever, reach advertised speeds.

As for the power consumption of the new CPU, better architecture, whatever refinements they could make with the process node, it should be marginally more efficient. Also, you could compromise and run it a lower clock speed that would equal the performance of the old CPU, but at much less power draw. Just depends on your goal.

Solution

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I'm not to worried about overclocking just want to maintain standard high clocks while rendering for long periods (sometimes days if I'm trying to animate something) without heaps of heat and noise. I'm hoping 2 rads means 4 slow fans at a constant speed keeping noise and heat down although I hope it won't put to much strain on the weaker pump.
Either way I'll give it a go I've already ordered the extra 280mm rad.
Thanks for the advise very helpful

derek nagorcka

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
For anyone who's interested ive now added a 280mm rad to my system so I have a 240mm in the top and a 280mm in the front, all in a fractal design r4. Installing was tight had to do some modifications to the drive cages but its all in.
Temps dropped at idle by 15ish to around 45-50 but under load it averages around 70 -73 which is about 10 cooler.

Pretty good but still not quite the improvement i hoped for, maybe its limited by airflow in this case and also I've a feeling my mb (aorus master b550) is pushing to much voltage but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Flow rate is probably your limit now, not much you can do there but invest in a discrete pump and CPU block. Still, low 70s on a CPU is actually very good. Wouldn't really worry about the voltage if the temps are that low.

You can use Ryzen Master or something like HWInfo64 to keep an eye on the core voltage. Adjustments in the BIOS are the best place to do it, but I have a feeling it is doing an okay job of managing itself at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS