[SOLVED] upgrade tips please

Jan 7, 2019
So I have a gaming pc I bought for my daughter I'm a complete novice it's got a q6600 CPU a Intel quad board 4x 2gb ddr2 and a palite 710 2gb card I wanna upgrade it and make it run better any tips would help a great deal

Solution
No, that socket wont support any CPUs that were released in the last 10 years. Its pretty old. Good in its day though, but those days are long gone. You could drop in a better GPU that will help some. But you need a platform upgrade (CPU/Mobo/RAM) to play modern games at reasonable fps.
Jan 7, 2019
Could I swap out the CPU on that board to ? I got the pc pretty cheap I think I paid £160 for it and was hoping to just upgrade it to run better it's something new were both PS4 players and I should have probably jumped in here first before buying anything me and the daughter didn't realise how complex this stuff is

bignastyid

Titan
Without knowing what motherboard you are running we can't really say what other cpus you can run, but even the last gen of the core 2 quads were not significantly better than the Q6600. To get a significantly better CPU you'd need a whole new platform(cpu. motherboard and ram).

Jan 7, 2019
Ok thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback if I was to swap those parts any advice on what's to go for I've been watching a few YouTube videos on changing parts and stuff that's as far as I've got

No, that socket wont support any CPUs that were released in the last 10 years. Its pretty old. Good in its day though, but those days are long gone. You could drop in a better GPU that will help some. But you need a platform upgrade (CPU/Mobo/RAM) to play modern games at reasonable fps.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan

Whats the budget? What case/chassis are you using and whats the make and model of the power supply?

GT710 is an entry level display card.
If the games are fast action, you really want a stronger graphics card.
A GT1030 or GTX1050 does not need aux power and will run on motherboard slot power.
Such a card can be moved later to a pc with a stronger psu.

As a test, Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need more cpu horsepower, plan on perhaps $250 for an entry level G5600, 8gb of ddr4 ram and a lga1151 300 series motherboard.

Jan 7, 2019
Well the wife's gave us a £100 a fortnight budget so I can get parts etc I'm out at work now I'm on nights but when I get home tomorrow I'll have a look at the other parts and try and give a better breakdown of what's in it