Upgrade to fix reboot problem

Currantly I have an Athlon 2100 running on an FIC board with a gig of
ram and a cheap 300 watt power supply. I do a lot of video editing and
have 4 internal 120 gig drives, two of which are configured in a raid
0 array using the MB's onboard Promise raid. I'm running WinXP Home.

Over the last month or so I've had problems with spontaneous
shutdowns and reboots. At first these occurances were infrequent
and actually stopped for about 3 weeks. But they are back and bad,
happening every few minutes on those few occasoions when the boot
sequence completes. Error messages are varied and range from blue
screens early in the boot process ( these are rare and include 8 E &
C2) , to the "windows has recovered from a serious error" message with
reference to minidump problems.

I know this could be software related but I think it's more likely
hardware and could be heat, ram, power supply, a short somewhere, or a
failing component. I tried running memtest from a boot floppy, but
after working fine for two or three minutes, the screen starts
scrolling very rapidly in a diagonal direction and can't be read. This
scrolling had happened on reboots for at least the past year, but
wasn't a problem because it stopped as soon as windows finished

When I opened the case I found that there actually were components
buried in the dust and hidden under the tangle of cables. I'll clean
it first and try securing the cables out of the way. I have two sticks
of ram so next I'll pull one, then the other to see if one is bad.
But after that I may just go to Plan B.

I planned on adding a new pretty high-end computer to become my main
machine in 6 or 9 months. I can't afford to do that until then. I
planned on using my currant machine mainly for file storage and
back-up. Now I think I may upgrade my currant machine modestly to buy
time until I can afford my new machine, and at the same time get rid
of the reboot problem. I would get a new MB, a processor in the
3000-3200 range, ram, power supply, and mid-level video card. This
rebuilt machine would still be used mainly for file storage
eventually, but in the meantime it would be my main machine and allow
me to put off getting my high-end machine for a while longer.

If I do this, I worry about the files on the Raid 0 drives. While most
of them are backed up to an external drive, there are several of the
latest edits which didn't get backed up because of the crashes. I
would prefer to not lose them. If my new MB has onboard promise raid,
will I be able to read them ? What about an add-in raid card?

Any suggestions for fixing the reboot problem?

For Plan B:
Will it work if the problem is hardware?
What if it's software?
Will I need to do an XP Repair?
What about the Raid issue?
Any suggestions for components?

Dave W.

I would look at the possibility it could be a virus first.

Do this first... Assuming you're running XP, right click on the My
Computer icon on the desktop - choose properties, hit the advanced
tab, then click on the system start-up/failure settings button on the
bottom. From there, uncheck the automatically restart under the system
failure section.
Reboot. Wait for your problem to rear it's ugly head again. Next time
you will get a BSOD and it won't reboot, it will hang. Write down the
error message and diagnose from there. Feel free to report back your
findings too...
Happy computing
StevieRay