upgrade xp home to xp pro

I have a dell dimension workstation. I made the mistake of getting it
with XP Home rather than XP Pro installed. What would be involved with
upgrading it? Does anybody have any direct experience with doing such
an upgrade? Any links?

TIA

You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor and,
unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit you very
much.

Tom

> You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
> features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor
> and, unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit
> you very much.

The only reason I suggest Pro over Home in a single or small workgroup
environment is for the server side of Remote Desktop. Set up properly it
sure can cut down on site visits. And for those computer savvy users, they
love the ability to access their computer from virtually anyplace/anytime.

Short of that there is really nothing important in Pro.

--

Rob

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
>> features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor
>> and, unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit
>> you very much.
>>

> The only reason I suggest Pro over Home in a single or small workgroup
> environment is for the server side of Remote Desktop. Set up properly it
> sure can cut down on site visits. And for those computer savvy users,
> they love the ability to access their computer from virtually
> anyplace/anytime.
>
> Short of that there is really nothing important in Pro.
>
> --
>
> Rob

I should have mentioned that as I use it constantly (I'm accessing my home
computer over the internet to post this).

That said, these days I suggest Media Center Edition. Cheaper and included
Remote Desktop.

Tom

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

>>You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
>>features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor
>>and, unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit
>>you very much.
>>

> The only reason I suggest Pro over Home in a single or small workgroup
> environment is for the server side of Remote Desktop. Set up properly it
> sure can cut down on site visits. And for those computer savvy users, they
> love the ability to access their computer from virtually anyplace/anytime.
>
> Short of that there is really nothing important in Pro.
>
> --
>
> Rob

It should be noted that there are a number of alternatives to Remote
Desktop, many of which are free. I particularly like VNC for platform
independence (there's a viewer for every OS I've ever used) and it can
easily be wrapped in a SSH tunnel for security.

I want to use the workstation for web development, and it doesn't look
like XP home has IIS. I'd like to be able to create and test ASP.Net
pages on the workstation. Also (this is just an annoyance), when I
bring up file explorer, I can't seem to get the address bar (with the
directory path) to show.

Tom Scales wrote:
> You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
> features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor and,
> unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit you very
> much.
>
> Tom
> "amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a dell dimension workstation. I made the mistake of getting it
> > with XP Home rather than XP Pro installed. What would be involved with
> > upgrading it? Does anybody have any direct experience with doing such
> > an upgrade? Any links?
> >
> > TIA

ahall

Tom> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news> JJqdnet0h5DqHoreRVn-1g@giganews.com...

>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news> nKKRe.56$xl6.27@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>> You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
>>> features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor
>>> and, unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit
>>> you very much.
>>>

>> The only reason I suggest Pro over Home in a single or small workgroup
>> environment is for the server side of Remote Desktop. Set up properly it
>> sure can cut down on site visits. And for those computer savvy users,
>> they love the ability to access their computer from virtually
anyplace> anytime.

>> Short of that there is really nothing important in Pro.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>>

Tom> I should have mentioned that as I use it constantly (I'm accessing my home
Tom> computer over the internet to post this).

Tom> That said, these days I suggest Media Center Edition. Cheaper and included
Tom> Remote Desktop.

Does the MC version support the ASR (Automated System Recovery)
module of XPs backup? I have used that twice on an XP Pro laptop,
and it worked like a charm both times.

ah

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Does the MC version support the ASR (Automated System Recovery)
> module of XPs backup? I have used that twice on an XP Pro laptop,
> and it worked like a charm both times.
>
> ah

Don't know; never used it. Where would I find it and I'll look.

Tom

ahall

>> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
news> kpgoe7bbpmx.fsf@panix3.panix.com...

>> Does the MC version support the ASR (Automated System Recovery)
>> module of XPs backup? I have used that twice on an XP Pro laptop,
>> and it worked like a charm both times.
>>
>> ah

Tom> Don't know; never used it. Where would I find it and I'll look.

I believe the XP Backup program is in Accessories on XP Pro. My
understanding is that it is not installed by default in XP Home,
and if one installs it from the OS CD, the ASR option is not
there. If you fire up the program, I believe in wizard mode,
the ASP option is the 3rd button. It fully backs up the OS drive
(in my case to an external HD), and then writes to a floppy. If
you later need to restore, boot to the OS CD, then select ASR. After
from the backup media.

Once I trashed my install to the point of not being able to boot from
the HD, and used it. The 2nd time was a primary hard drive failure.

>I want to use the workstation for web development, and it doesn't look
> like XP home has IIS. I'd like to be able to create and test ASP.Net
> pages on the workstation. Also (this is just an annoyance), when I
> bring up file explorer, I can't seem to get the address bar (with the
> directory path) to show.
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
>> features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor
>> and,
>> unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit you
>> very
>> much.
>>
>> Tom
>> "amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a dell dimension workstation. I made the mistake of getting it
>> > with XP Home rather than XP Pro installed. What would be involved with
>> > upgrading it? Does anybody have any direct experience with doing such
>> > an upgrade? Any links?
>> >
>> > TIA

IIS is an issue. Of course you can use Apache, but both Pro and MCE have
IIS

[posted and mailed]

"amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I want to use the workstation for web development, and it doesn't look
> like XP home has IIS. I'd like to be able to create and test ASP.Net
> pages on the workstation. Also (this is just an annoyance), when I
> bring up file explorer, I can't seem to get the address bar (with the
> directory path) to show.

In Windows Explorer, go to View, Toolbars, Address Bar. Then go to Tools,
Folder Options and click on the View tab. Make sure the checkbox marked
Display the full path in the Address Bar is checked. Oh and I had to go to
View, Toolbars and then click on Lock the Toolbars so I could scoot around
the Address Bar so I could see all of it.

Mike

Thanks! the address bar is showing now.
M. Hale wrote:
> [posted and mailed]
>
> "amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > I want to use the workstation for web development, and it doesn't look
> > like XP home has IIS. I'd like to be able to create and test ASP.Net
> > pages on the workstation. Also (this is just an annoyance), when I
> > bring up file explorer, I can't seem to get the address bar (with the
> > directory path) to show.
>
> In Windows Explorer, go to View, Toolbars, Address Bar. Then go to Tools,
> Folder Options and click on the View tab. Make sure the checkbox marked
> Display the full path in the Address Bar is checked. Oh and I had to go to
> View, Toolbars and then click on Lock the Toolbars so I could scoot around
> the Address Bar so I could see all of it.
>
> Mike

Yes it does.

> Does the MC version support the ASR (Automated System Recovery)
> module of XPs backup? I have used that twice on an XP Pro laptop,
> and it worked like a charm both times.

So if I want to work with IIS, I have to get XP Professional, correct?
Can I just get the XP professional upgrade and run it on my
workstation? Can get anything for my old XP Home addition?

TIA

Tom Scales wrote:
> "amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I want to use the workstation for web development, and it doesn't look
> > like XP home has IIS. I'd like to be able to create and test ASP.Net
> > pages on the workstation. Also (this is just an annoyance), when I
> > bring up file explorer, I can't seem to get the address bar (with the
> > directory path) to show.
> >
> > Tom Scales wrote:
> >> You can install Pro over Home with no problem, but I am curious what
> >> features of Pro you believe you need. The differences are fairly minor
> >> and,
> >> unless it is a work machine within a domain, are unlikely to limit you
> >> very
> >> much.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> "amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> IIS is an issue. Of course you can use Apache, but both Pro and MCE have
> IIS

Use Apache. Runs fine on XP Home and likely more secure. And free.

You can't get IIS for Home.

Just Pro or MCE.
> So if I want to work with IIS, I have to get XP Professional, correct?
> Can I just get the XP professional upgrade and run it on my
> workstation? Can get anything for my old XP Home addition?
>
> TIA
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> "amorphous999" <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to use the workstation for web development, and it doesn't look
>> > like XP home has IIS. I'd like to be able to create and test ASP.Net
>> > pages on the workstation. Also (this is just an annoyance), when I
>> > bring up file explorer, I can't seem to get the address bar (with the
>> > directory path) to show.

>> IIS is an issue. Of course you can use Apache, but both Pro and MCE have
>> IIS

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On 6 Sep 2005 06:51:09 -0700, "amorphous999"
<jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So if I want to work with IIS, I have to get XP Professional, correct?
>Can I just get the XP professional upgrade and run it on my
>workstation? Can get anything for my old XP Home addition?
>
>TIA

IIRC, there are some patches to allow IIS on a 'home' system. Dont'
forget that you'll have a 10 connection limit regardless w/o server.
That makes Linux even more attractive! <g>

Can you give a pointer to whatever patches are necessary to run IIS on
XP Home? I'd like to be able to develop ASP.Net pages on my home
workstation, and I've never heard of Apache being able to run ASP.Net
pages.

TIA

PeterD wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2005 06:51:09 -0700, "amorphous999"
> <jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >So if I want to work with IIS, I have to get XP Professional, correct?
> >Can I just get the XP professional upgrade and run it on my
> >workstation? Can get anything for my old XP Home addition?
> >
> >TIA
> >

> IIRC, there are some patches to allow IIS on a 'home' system. Dont'
> forget that you'll have a 10 connection limit regardless w/o server.
> That makes Linux even more attractive! <g>

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On 7 Sep 2005 07:27:34 -0700, "amorphous999"
<jfobrien1458@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can you give a pointer to whatever patches are necessary to run IIS on
>XP Home? I'd like to be able to develop ASP.Net pages on my home
>workstation, and I've never heard of Apache being able to run ASP.Net
>pages.

This is a writeup that someone else did on the subject. Thank him if
it works. If it doesn't work, sorry. Also try Google search for
Windows XP Home IIS and you will get a lot of hits.

Another writeup is at
http://www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/tuts_server/iis_xph/pippo_xp.asp if you
want to give that a try. Read both, follow the one that you feel is
best. NWEI.

by Richard Sandoz - Certified Java Programmer

(1) locate and edit the file C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF

(2) locate a section called [Components]

(3) find a line like this:
iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,hide,7

(4) change it to this (the iis cab in the i386 xp home folder looks to
be nothing) iis=iis2.dll,OcEntry,iis2.inf,,7

(some sort of ms caching thing keeps sticking back iis.dll when I try
to nuke it. quickly renaming and making hidden dir called iis.dll
seems to thwart, but not worth it, so iis2.dll is good enough)

(5) I grabbed the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ from win2k advanced server cd.

I would guess similar techniques would work from W98, FP, etc. Use
"EXPAND IIS.DL_ IIS2.DLL" from a command prompt Same for IIS2.INF,
place IIS2.INF in C:\WINDOWS\INF and IIS2.DLL in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SETUP

(6) Now when I did "add windows programs" from the control panel's add
new programs, I had IIS options and I could even check em off. yippee
- could not check em off from my xppro cd :(((

I just went with the defaulted ones though (all i needed was iis web
server)

(7) It will prompt you for files. Get em from MS XP Home CDs, Adv
Server CDs, C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV, C:\WINDOWS\I386, etc. (It will
tell you the file it needs, you just need to have a searcher going,
probably the CDs will have all you need)

(8) You can get to your IIS from Control Panel's Administrative
Programs. I stuck in an index.html file and reconfigure IIS to work
like this.
No go :(((
I right clicked on my inetpub folder and did something with shared
folders.
No go :(((
I looked at the event viewer and saw the error of my ways. Go to IIS
and goto Directory Security tab and click Edit button and Browse for
the user setup on my laptop.

(9) Yippee, hello world from http://localhost