Dave wrote:
> I have XP home and I want to upgrade CPU from 1.6(400fsb)
> to a 2.4(533fsb) do I have to re-register? XP

Depends..
Can you use the same motherboard?

--
<- Shenan ->

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Yes same motherboard, I don`t want to do a fresh install,
just want to change CPU? will it work?

research for
>yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
>responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are
>getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>

>.

No, but after doing the "repair" install of XP, you will need to
"reactivate" within 3 days to keep it operational.

--

StringFellow Hawk

Dave wrote:
> Yes same motherboard, I don`t want to do a fresh install,
> just want to change CPU? will it work?

Chances are that you will notice no difference.
The only tricky part I see is going from non-HT to HT technology, which
MIGHT require a repair installation.. I doubt it will require anything
other than you putting your new processor in, however. And the Processor
alone should not trigger reactivation, and even if it does, if it has been
more than 120 days since you did it, you can do it over the Internet. If it
has not, a 5-10 minute phone call will get you activated again.

--
<- Shenan ->

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks it does not support HT. I have DDR PC-2700, Ram it
a ASUS P4PE. Do you have the link for reactivation?

Dave wrote:
> Thanks it does not support HT. I have DDR PC-2700, Ram it
> a ASUS P4PE. Do you have the link for reactivation?

If you need to reactivate - it will direct you.

--
<- Shenan ->

Thanks so much! Dave.

I doubt that hyperthreading is a concern. I believe that none of the 2.4 GHz
533 MHz FSB CPUs supports hyperthreading, including the latest 90 nm
(Prescott) CPUs. (I gave a quick look at www.intel.com.)

I doubt that the original poster will have to do anything at all to XP,
unless the CPU change triggers activation. I hope that he has at least
PC2100 DDR memory (or PC133, if his mainboard is one of the old SDRAM ones).

HTH.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>> I have XP home and I want to upgrade CPU from 1.6 (400fsb)
>> to a 2.4(533fsb) do I have to re-register? XP
>
> Shenan wrote:
>> Depends..
>> Can you use the same motherboard?
>
> Dave wrote:
>> Yes same motherboard, I don`t want to do a fresh install,
>> just want to change CPU? will it work?
>
> Chances are that you will notice no difference.
> The only tricky part I see is going from non-HT to HT technology, which
> MIGHT require a repair installation.. I doubt it will require anything
> other than you putting your new processor in, however. And the Processor
> alone should not trigger reactivation, and even if it does, if it has been
> more than 120 days since you did it, you can do it over the Internet. If
> it has not, a 5-10 minute phone call will get you activated again.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

curt

I think you mean activate XP. Probably not, but you never know for sure. I
had to reactivate after cleaning my system where I removed everything and
put it all back in the same exact location. So, again you never know. But if
XP asks to be activated it's not a painful process. If it can't be done
online, a 5min phone call to MS will do it.

--
Curt
"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP home and I want to upgrade CPU from 1.6(400fsb)
> to a 2.4(533fsb) do I have to re-register? XP

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:33:32 -0800, "Dave"

>I have XP home and I want to upgrade CPU from 1.6(400fsb)
>to a 2.4(533fsb) do I have to re-register? XP

If you mean just changing the CPU, no.
If it means changing the motherboard and CPU, then you need to
re-activate, you do not need to re-register.

Peter Hutchison
http://www.pcguru.plus.com

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have XP home and I want to upgrade CPU from 1.6(400fsb)
| to a 2.4(533fsb) do I have to re-register? XP

Google is your friend.....
<http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm>