Oct 29, 2022
PC part list:
Ryzen 5 3600 > Upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600x
Asrock B550M-HDV Motherboard BIOS Version 2.2
RTX 2080
2x8 GB Ram 3600mhz
256GB SSD
2TB HDD

So I recently bought a ryzen 5 5600x to upgrade from a ryzen 5 3600. I put it in and it wouldnt post the fans just spin super loud and then they quiet down but then nothing appears and the monitor says there is no signal. I have tried everything to troubleshoot. I have tried different ram and using single sticks in different slots. I have also tried removing the gpu nothing happens. I have an asrock b550m-HDV motherboard and the website says its fully supported. I was on bios version 2.1 which supports the cpu and after multiple tries to troubleshoot I updated the bios to 2.2 which is the latest version at this point in time and no luck so its not a bios issue. I have also reset ram speeds and defaulted bios settings with the old cpu that boots perfectly fine everytime i would put it in to troubleshoot. I have already reset the cmos by shorting the pins and also removing the battery which didnt work. I have a 750w power supply that also works fine when I put the r5 3600 back in to check. I tried removing tpm which i disabled with the old cpu and that didnt work. I also removed the drives to see if I could boot into bios nothing happened. The r5 5600x pins appear to be fine and there is nothing on them which would prevent a boot as it was put in right out of the box. Im lost and I dont know what to do because the motherboard fully supports the cpu and I have everything necessary that is compatible with the cpu. I troubleshooted every part by replacing them with other parts from another system that I have except the motherboard but I dont see how that could be the issue if I am able to boot into the r5 3600 everytime with no issues. If you have any suggestions that would be appreciated.

Install the 5600x and the CPU cooler. Then perform a hard reset. If the hard reset, which is NOT the same as just using the CMOS reset jumper pins OR just removing the battery alone, doesn't work, then I'd say to RMA or return the CPU because there is something wrong with it. Did you buy the CPU used or new, and where did you buy it from?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Oct 29, 2022
Install the 5600x and the CPU cooler. Then perform a hard reset. If the hard reset, which is NOT the same as just using the CMOS reset jumper pins OR just removing the battery alone, doesn't work, then I'd say to RMA or return the CPU because there is something wrong with it. Did you buy the CPU used or new, and where did you buy it from?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.
Hey thanks for the advice. I tried the hard reset and the same issue still occurs, unfortunately. I bought the cpu on amazon brand new a few days back so it's weird that the cpu would be the issue but at this point I dont know what else it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.