[SOLVED] Upgraded Cyberpowerpc Build....What next?

Sep 19, 2019
I recently purchased a great deal on a cyberpowerpc. It came with surprisingly good parts. currently I've swapped out the motherboard and added another m.2 SSD. The current specs are:

Intel i9-9900k
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro Wifi
MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super
Adata X9G Z1 3000MHz Memory, 16GB
Intel 660p 1TB M.2 Nvme SSD
Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 Nvme SSD
CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
APEVIA 120mm RGB 1200RPM Fans x3
APEVIA Prestige 800W 80+ Gold Power Supply
AOC AGON AG273QCG 1440p Curved G-Sync Monitor, 27"

I have no idea what case it is but it has the CPU liquid cooler fan on the back and the two 120mm RGB fans on the side. I think my air flow sucks (no pun intended).

e5a741fb-1017-45fc-b9a8-903d8e941c97.__CR0,0,300,400_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

any suggestions on where to go from here?

Solution
That cooler is huge. I fear for the stress it will put on the mobo. Also, not sure if it would colide with the memory sticks. Whats the smallest, sleakest setup that will still provide sufficient cooling and won't break the bank?

I'm at work at the moment, but will stess test when I get home. I am using MSI Kombuster for stress tests, is that good? Is there any risk in running a stress tester if my build isn't up to snuff? I'd hate to ACTUALLY burn my CPU.

For the time being should I move my setup into by old case? it's a Corsair Vengence C70 (the one that looks like an Ammo Box).

Also. Are there any cases like the C70? I loved that design.
The weight isn't an issue unless you travel often and take your PC with you -...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whoa now, mate!
The case and cpu cooler need to go.

You are NOT going be able to cool a 9900k with a 120mm AIO.
-Big air coolers, like an NH-D15/S, Dark Rock Pro 4, and Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT.
-AIOs of at least 280mm.

I can tell from looking that the case is not well designed for good airflow.

Now I'm wondering how much of this was a 'good deal', as you're needing to replace most of the parts anyways?

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999
Sep 19, 2019
Hmm, I've been monitoring my temps and it hasn't been my CPU that I've been worried about. More so my graphics card.

How about these replacements - Your thoughts?

be quiet! Dark Rock 4, BK021, 200W TDP, CPU Cooler (how is noise compared to liquid cooler)
Phanteks Pro M Tempered Glass Case, Blck, PH-ES515PTG_BK
Thermaltake 750W SMART 80+ Bronze

Is the PSU all that bad? seems like 800W 80+ Gold should be fine. Would the Thermaltake be an upgrade or downgrade?
The 80+ Gold Thermaltake 750W 80+ Gold is almost twice as expensive, is it worth it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Really? What kinda temps do you get with that cpu under load in that air-starved case? Do share.
Do runs of Cpu-Z benchmark/stress test and let us know how high it gets?

2)Liquid coolers are generally louder than air coolers - more sources of noise:
-fans on air coolers
-fans and pumps on liquid coolers

3)Dark Rock 4 isn't enough for a 9900k - it'd work for a 9700k though.
The beefier sibling, the Dark Rock Pro 4 would be good.

4)That's a good choice of a case, I can't argue with that one.

5)Thermaltake Smart 750w isn't much better than your current one[Need confirmation on this one, to be sure.]

6)Quality over quantity. It's best to find reviews of these products instead of taking them at face value.
Manufacturer's have, can, and do lie about the efficiency of their power supplies.

Sep 19, 2019
That cooler is huge. I fear for the stress it will put on the mobo. Also, not sure if it would colide with the memory sticks. Whats the smallest, sleakest setup that will still provide sufficient cooling and won't break the bank?

I'm at work at the moment, but will stess test when I get home. I am using MSI Kombuster for stress tests, is that good? Is there any risk in running a stress tester if my build isn't up to snuff? I'd hate to ACTUALLY burn my CPU.

For the time being should I move my setup into by old case? it's a Corsair Vengence C70 (the one that looks like an Ammo Box).

Sep 19, 2019
I found the case that's being used its:

Thermaltake View 21 Dual Tempered Glass ATX Tt LCS Certified Black Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case CA-1I3-00M1WN-00

There are two side mounted intake fans that don't show in the picture above.

Sep 19, 2019
Ok I ran the MSI Kombuster stress test and it definitely started raising temps. I stopped it at 87° as that's as hot as I was comfortable going.

The thing is, I don't think I ever come close to using 100% of this puppy, which might be why I haven't seen bad thermals.

So the cooling in my system needs a serious face lift. Any suggestions on a liquid cooler? If i go air cooled I'm going with the Dark Rock Pro 4, what is it's equal or better in liquid?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

The weight isn't an issue unless you travel often and take your PC with you - in which case, you should be unmounting the cooler to begin with.
Motherboards aren't as flimsy as they used to be. If you're the clumsy type who happens to 'bump' their PC often, then I guess you'd have a reason to be concerned about the weight.
That's the sacrifice you make with air coolers. The strongest coolers are going to be large. The size of the heatsink is the bulk of an air cooler's thermal performance.
With AIOs, it's the size of the radiator.
Now, where the large air coolers lose out is past 280mm AIOs. There aren't any that can touch the power of 360mm or larger.

Kombustor is more a gpu stress test than a cpu one.
If the cpu overheats, it will throttle and drop voltages and clocks to cool off.

Your old case definitely looks more airflow friendly compared to the current one...
Heck, you can even do a 280mm AIO in that one.

Thermaltake View 21
Here's the side view.
[HUGE IMAGE WAS HERE]
Looks similar, but they are not the same - terrible design on both with these closed off cases.
View 21 can hold 6 fans and 280 or 360mm radiators.
The Cyberpower is just 4, and 240mm rad max.

WTH, Cyberpower... they are actually selling 9900k rigs with 120mm AIOs on them??? Someone remind me why prebuilts are good again?
:pfff:

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 19, 2019
Prebuilts are good because you get a fairly decent base line system that you know at least works. Then you can upgrade from there. It made sense when all I thought I had to upgrade was the motherboard. Now it looks like I'm upgrading the PSU, Fans, and Case. On the brightside I can hand-down all these parts to my son as it should be sufficient for a 9600K w/ a 1660ti.

I monitored the cpu temps while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and nothing raised over low 70s. So I feel it will work for current gen gaming but I'll definately want to upgrade for future-proofing or heavier CPU loads.

Sep 19, 2019
Prebuilts are for those that don't care that they are getting mediocre parts but that does work.

Sadly, I'm not one of those people...so I've ordered the Phanteks Pro M Tempered Glass Case and the Focus Seasonic 850W 80+ Gold Power supply.

Now to pick a liquid cooler. What's your thoughts on:

DEEPCOOL Captain 360EX All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler with 360mm Radiator

Sep 19, 2019
When replacing the cooler. Should I wipe clean the previous thermal paste and re-apply? If so, what the best method of doing so?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Prebuilts are for those that don't care that they are getting mediocre parts but that does work.

Sadly, I'm not one of those people...so I've ordered the Phanteks Pro M Tempered Glass Case and the Focus Seasonic 850W 80+ Gold Power supply.

Now to pick a liquid cooler. What's your thoughts on:

DEEPCOOL Captain 360EX All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler with 360mm Radiator
Don't know too much about AIOs beyond radiator sizes, but this will be more helpful than me here:

When replacing the cooler. Should I wipe clean the previous thermal paste and re-apply?
You should always do that.

Prebuilts are good because you get a fairly decent base line system that you know at least works. Then you can upgrade from there.
I think it depends. The manufacturer's cut corners(to keep costs lower) in important areas that later screw over their customers, such as:
-Lower quality power supply(this is the one they're most notorious for)
-Slow memory in Ryzen prebuilts
-Some configs only come with a single stick of memory(lower available bandwidth, which hinders cpu performance, as the cpu and ram work as a pair - performance drop will be more noticeable in cpu heavy applications)
-Many are still putting too much focus in the looks of their proprietary cases and sacrificing the cooling performance - air cooling performance will suffer, as well as on liquid coolers(essentially hybrid AIR coolers!)
-Low to mid range motherboards

I'd do a better job if I were to start from scratch, but that's just me.