[SOLVED] upgraded from phenom II 955 - fx 8350 and now most games/applications hang for a long time before loading

Feb 17, 2019
as per the description i upgraded my cpu and while im getting phenomenally faster speeds everywhere im having an issue where after i click on an application of any kind there is a massive delay (im talking sometimes over a minute) before the application opens up or the game i have clicked on actually starts. also a little seperate issue my OS is now only recognizing 12gb of my 16gb ram even though with my phenom it was always fine. the application thing is boggling me since it doesnt seem to be a slow cpu thing it seems more like something it halting the application somehow while it does something but im not sure what. any help would be amazing.

few specs:
motherboard: m5a97 pro
cpu: amd fx8350 am3+
ram: 2x kingston 4gb, stick 2x generic 4gb sticks
hdd: some hybrid piece of trash 2TB

Solution
did your thing and the boxes are all green but not sure what that means lol. yeah i plan on upgrading to an ssd soon, as far as defragging my application says its 0% defragged as apparently it optimiszes itself. thanks

Yeah, so take a screenshot of the SMART data and post it here. I want to see the numbers.

You need serious software such as SMART DEFRAG in order to ascertain the fragmentation of your HDD. I am pretty sure at this stage that your HDD is in terrible state as you have never defragged it.

Download SMART DEFRAG and do:

1. DEFRAG AND OPTIMIZE
  2. DEFRAG AND PRIORIITIZE FILES
  3. FREE SPACE DEFRAG

These operations will take time.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That motherboard will have issues with your now 125w CPU. You may be experiencing some heat issues preventing optimal performance. Also, bent pins or an improperly inserted memory stick into the slot can cause the memory issues.

Does your BIOS report all of the memory and can you tell which slot is not being read?

Feb 17, 2019
yes the bios shows all the sticks and also i use the cpu-z app and that shows all the sticks. i made completely sure i didnt bend anything as far as i know. ah ok so you think i might need to get a better motherboard to support the cpu better? thanks for the reply.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed as well, but if you searched with your CPU and mobo combo, you would find similar issues discussed.

What are your CPU temps at idle and under load? Also, what make/model are your GPU and PSU?

Feb 17, 2019
having just tested a little bit idle is about 20-21C and load is about 44C on a pretty graphically intense game. my graphics card is a gtx760 and i have a 750 corsair psu

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Those are very low temps and should not be an issue. GPU and PSU and available power should also be good. I think you are just seeing symptoms of the CPU/mobo combo.

Although what you have is compatible, you really need a 95w or lower TDP CPU to avoid such issues.

Is your BIOS up to date, by the way?

Feb 17, 2019
im using a raijintek themis cooler its always been pretty decent for my system i think but i'm not a complete expert. when i put the new cpu in i just swapped them straight over i didnt reinstall anything or didnt do anything else. would windows and stuff normally handle just a straight swap without needed reinstalling or anything?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Folks, the OP uses an HDD for everything. He doesn't have an SSD. His issues stem from the HDD.

1. Get an SSD then install windows and games on it.

2. Download Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot of the SMART attributes of your HDD. IT could be failing, it could require extensive defragment or both.

Feb 17, 2019
Folks, the OP uses an HDD for everything. He doesn't have an SSD. His issues stem from the HDD.

1. Get an SSD then install windows and games on it.

2. Download Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot of the SMART attributes of your HDD. IT could be failing, it could require extensive defragment or both.
did your thing and the boxes are all green but not sure what that means lol. yeah i plan on upgrading to an ssd soon, as far as defragging my application says its 0% defragged as apparently it optimiszes itself. thanks

Buying an SSD will feel like buying a whole new system. That how much of an improvement they're.

You can buy a used 250GB samsung for $40. 500GB new will be around $75. 1TB for $140.

cheaper drives such as kingston are a viable option too, but I wouldn't go with anything less than 250GB.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013

Yeah, so take a screenshot of the SMART data and post it here. I want to see the numbers.

You need serious software such as SMART DEFRAG in order to ascertain the fragmentation of your HDD. I am pretty sure at this stage that your HDD is in terrible state as you have never defragged it.

Download SMART DEFRAG and do:

1. DEFRAG AND OPTIMIZE
  2. DEFRAG AND PRIORIITIZE FILES
  3. FREE SPACE DEFRAG

These operations will take time.

Solution