Question Upgraded Ryzen cpu now pc wont turn on

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Hi. I upgraded from a 2400g to a 2700x and now my pc won't start. It does absolutely nothing. No noise, no fans. It's a paperweight now. I reset the CMOS and double/triple checked to make sure everything is connected.
It's installed on an AB350N Motherboard.
Should I have done something to the BIOS before upgrading? If I need to put in my old CPU to fix the BIOS do I have to redo the thermal paste even if I'm just fixing the BIOS, then swapping CPUs again?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Any help

You need to upgrade the BIOS from F10 which is what you are probably on,(which run's the 2400G,) to F20 (which runs the 2700x). You will have to reinstall the 2400G to do this before swapping them out. I am totally unfamiliar with this board so not sure if you will have to update in sequence so please wait for someone more experienced to advise you further.

Hi. I upgraded from a 2400g to a 2700x and now my pc won't start. It does absolutely nothing. No noise, no fans. It's a paperweight now. I reset the CMOS and double/triple checked to make sure everything is connected.
It's installed on an AB350N Motherboard.
Should I have done something to the BIOS before upgrading? If I need to put in my old CPU to fix the BIOS do I have to redo the thermal paste even if I'm just fixing the BIOS, then swapping CPUs again?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Any help
There were quite a few B350 motherboards that started with AB350, but the 'n' suggests it's a Gigabyte mini ITX motherboard, the AB350N Gameing Wifi. For that board you have to update to BIOS rev F20 at least to support 2nd gen. At least initially though I'd go no higher than F25, when you start getting into gen 3 BIOS rev's. There are no notes about updating in sequence, but there is one about updating the chipset drivers first on some so just get the latest chipset drivers from AMD and update them first. After you update and swap in the new CPU be sure to do a CMOS reset and I'd also update chipset drivers AGAIN to get full functionality since the installation is conditional on AGESA (comes with the BIOS) and CPU it sees.

You will need to put the 2400g back in to make the BIOS update. If there's any residual thermal compound on the base of the heatsink I'd just use it as is for the bios update but you can put a little dot on the cpu just to be safe if you want to.

Something to be aware of: that board looks to have, like most Gigabyte motherboards, a switch-less dual BIOS "feature". It sounds great in their 'UltraDURABLE' ad copy but being switchless you can't control when it wants to revert to the backup BIOS...nor force it to use only the main BIOS. You need to also update the backup BIOS else should something happen that makes the board want to revert to the backup BIOS it won't work with a 2700 processor. I never saw any instructions on my AB350M Gaming 3 motherboard on how to update the backup BIOS nor how to force it to use either the main or the backup BIOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
There were quite a few B350 motherboards that started with AB350, but the 'n' suggests it's a Gigabyte mini ITX motherboard, the AB350N Gameing Wifi. For that board you have to update to BIOS rev F20 at least to support 2nd gen. At least initially though I'd go no higher than F25, when you start getting into gen 3 BIOS rev's. You will need to put the 2400g back in to make the update. If there's any residual thermal compound on the base of the heatsink I'd just use it as is for the bios update but you can put a little dot on the cpu just to be safe if you want to.

Something to be aware of: that board looks to have, like most Gigabyte motherboards, a switch-less dual BIOS "feature". It sounds great in their 'UltraDURABLE' ad copy but being switchless you can't control when it wants to revert to the backup BIOS...nor force it to use only the main BIOS. You need to also update the backup BIOS else should something happen that makes the board want to revert to the backup BIOS it won't work with a 2700 processor. I never saw any instructions on my AB350M Gaming 3 motherboard on how to update the backup BIOS nor how to force it to use either the main or the backup BIOS.
Thank you! Will try it put after work and post the results!

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Quick update. I reinstalled the old cpu. Good news is the pc now boots up. Bad news is, I get a black screen.
I've reset the cmos, took out the ram and reinstalled it, reconnect the psu, tried both hdmi connections on gpu and motherboard. I have no idea what to do. All I get is a black screen.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Did u get this sorted? I have exactly the same problem. Upgraded from 1700 to 3800XT. Simple. Would boot at all. Managed to get it "working" as in computer would run but no VGA output. Tried checking everything.
Gave up and put 1700 back in. Now

it's not displaying video now on the old setup. Im absolutely gutted that something so simple has left me without my main PC

Ideas?

Did u get this sorted? I have exactly the same problem. Upgraded from 1700 to 3800XT. Simple. Would boot at all. Managed to get it "working" as in computer would run but no VGA output. Tried checking everything.
Gave up and put 1700 back in. Now

it's not displaying video now on the old setup. Im absolutely gutted that something so simple has left me without my main PC

Ideas?

You should start your own thread with this question. Be sure to include all system spec's including motherboard, PSU, memory, etc.