[SOLVED] Upgraded to 9900K and now have stuttering

Jowala117

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021
I recently upgraded from an 8600k to a 9900K and now I'm getting stuttering in games resulting in really bad 1% and 0.1% lows my motherboard is a rog Maximus x hero I updated to the latest bios before I installed the 9900K. Since noticing the stuttering I've tried reinstalling windows, turning off xmp & mce in bios nothing seems to fix the problem my temperatures are fine both the GPU and CPU run in the 60's when playing cyberpunk which is the most intensive game I can think of. My pc is plugged into a power strip it always has been idk if maybe this could be a problem now any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit - From using afterburner I have noticed the stutter happening alongside GPU usage spiking down then instantly back up like from 99% to 86% back to 99% all within a second.

Last edited:

Jowala117

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021
Please list your complete system specs including power supply, graphics card, cooler, etc.
PSU - CORSAIR CX750M
GPU - MSI GAMING GTX 1070 TI
Cooler - CORSAIR H100I
Ram - G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 2 X 8GB 3200HMZ
Motherboard - rog maximus x hero (wifi-ac)
Case - Corsair 760t
The operating system is on 960 evo nvme 250gb

Also, I should add that from using afterburner I have noticed the stutter happening alongside GPU usage spiking down then instantly back up like from 99% to 86% back to 99% all within a second.

Jowala117

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021
In task Manager/performance, is your current CPU listed correctly, which now includes 8c/16t? (Did you merely slap in the new CPU and reboot? Is the 9900K properly identified and detected in the BIOS?)
Yeah, the CPU is detected and I reinstalled windows I did the keep some files option though I've been thinking about maybe doing the full windows wipe.

Jowala117

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021
You should try CMOS reset. I understand asus maximus x hero has cmos reset button on the back of the motherboard where all the ports are. Try that. It will reset your BIOS settings to default, and might sort out your CPU woes.
I just did that and it's still happening with and without xmp unfortunately