[SOLVED] Upgraded to AMD Ryzen 5 2600X and now many games have a huge FPS drop

Oct 14, 2020
My Old CPU the AMD A10 9700 allowed me to play most games I currently play at 60+ FPS Vsync Off, but after upgrading to the Ryzen 5 2600X all those Games will play over 60FPS but will regularly drop to numbers such as 5 or even 0.

My Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600X - CPU
NVIDIA 1050ti - GPU
8GB RAM (2x 4GB)
1tb HDD
ASUS PRIME A320M-K (BIOS - 4023) - Motherboard
400W - PSU

Is there a way to fix this, I have already done a clean install of Windows, my BIOS is the correct version, I have wiped my HDD but to no avail.

Here is the User Benchmark - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34138408

Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
It could be that you have an A320 chipset (designed for Athlon and A-series processors) or that your power supply is bad/not strong enough.
I advise upgrading to at least a 500W PSU.
I agree your PSU at 400w is also going to have low ampage on the 12v rail and this doesn't give enough juice to your new CPU along with your video card. At idle your system on average will take up about 125 to 150w of power. General desktop usage will take that number close to 200w or more. Then when you launch a game your wattage usage can be about 350w close to 400w depending on what else you have on your rig like fans and drives or a overclock. That PSU will not cut it and as the above chap said it could be a compatibility issue. I advice a...

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
It could be that you have an A320 chipset (designed for Athlon and A-series processors) or that your power supply is bad/not strong enough.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I agree your PSU at 400w is also going to have low ampage on the 12v rail and this doesn't give enough juice to your new CPU along with your video card. At idle your system on average will take up about 125 to 150w of power. General desktop usage will take that number close to 200w or more. Then when you launch a game your wattage usage can be about 350w close to 400w depending on what else you have on your rig like fans and drives or a overclock. That PSU will not cut it and as the above chap said it could be a compatibility issue. I advice a couple thing you can do to fix your issue so follow my steps. First go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then get DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart and back up in normal mode install the latest nVidia graphics drivers. Then I also advice as a option not something you must do but update the BIOS firmware. After doing all this either things will improve and youll get your 60fps and if you don't then your PSU is crummy sorry to say and you must replace it as it is simply dying and can not offer enough juice so it trips out and drops to 5fps. Please get back to me with any other concerns after doing the above. Good Luck. 💯🤷‍♀️🎗✝

Solution

pandaboy94

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
It's either the ram or your PSU (PSU more than likely the culprit.) But I do know Ryzen requires decent speed ram, what speed is your ram running at and have you enabled XMP?

Edit: I see your ram is running at 1200 MHz. I don't believe Ryzen is going to enjoy the speed your ram is capable of because Ryzen requires at least 3200 MHz to run smoothly as far as I'm aware of.

I also notice from your benchmark that your GPU is running lower than it should, could be a power issue from the PSU though honestly.
Is your ram running dual+ channel XMP mode in your bios?

A fresh/full install of everything (games and OS, chipset/GPU drivers) will likely cover all typical bases...

What you can't do/expect to succeed is just swap CPU/mainboard/RAM, reboot, and expect new hardware to be detected with correct drivers installed by default...as this is not Linux! :)

I am really suprised, that you can even run windows 10 AND additionally start and play games at all.
Minimum should be 16 GB and at least with 3200 Mhz..

Shouldn't be that surprised, most OEM office PC usually sell with only 4GB of RAM, and thats pretty enough for Windows + antivirus + office + basic browsing. Of course more RAM is usually a better experience, specially when prices are steady and reasonable.

Even though it wasn't a perfect experience back in 2019 I was using a Core i5 3570 + 2x4GB DDR3 1600 + GTX 1060 6GB and playing games like Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Battlefield 5. Yeah I have some stutter every now and then but they were playable and I enjoyed the both games.

Oct 14, 2020
I agree your PSU at 400w is also going to have low ampage on the 12v rail and this doesn't give enough juice to your new CPU along with your video card. At idle your system on average will take up about 125 to 150w of power. General desktop usage will take that number close to 200w or more. Then when you launch a game your wattage usage can be about 350w close to 400w depending on what else you have on your rig like fans and drives or a overclock. That PSU will not cut it and as the above chap said it could be a compatibility issue. I advice a couple thing you can do to fix your issue so follow my steps. First go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then get DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart and back up in normal mode install the latest nVidia graphics drivers. Then I also advice as a option not something you must do but update the BIOS firmware. After doing all this either things will improve and youll get your 60fps and if you don't then your PSU is crummy sorry to say and you must replace it as it is simply dying and can not offer enough juice so it trips out and drops to 5fps. Please get back to me with any other concerns after doing the above. Good Luck. 💯🤷‍♀️🎗✝

It turns out my PSU is 500W, is that still too little? should I go for 600w

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Can you at least post a pic of the label on the PSU, do you have access to it? (IF YOU DO IT, BE SAFE!!! TURN OFF THE PC AND UNPLUG THE POWER CORD FROM THE WALL)
Yes, listen to RodroX guru and do what he said we need some more info and that would help greatly. A average PC pulls about 400w in consuming triple AAA games and idle is about 130 to 150w. So 500w cuts it but leaves little headroom. Also your PSU if a cheap one will not have enough ampage on the 12v rail to juice up your entire system and video card and what not.🙈👶✝

Reactions: RodroX

TRENDING THREADS