Question Upgraded to Asus TUF Gaming-pro and can't get passed windows logo boot loop.

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Upgraded motherboard and it is stuck boot looping at the windows logo. I can't even get into safe mode. I've tried using usb and dvd method to reinstall windows and it loops as well after the windows logo. Also tried a usb linux os and that can't load either.
Only have cpu, videocard, 1hd, and 1 ram installed.

when you are "reinstalling" the OS are you choosing to format the disk and wipe everything before hand?

Reactions: drea.drechsler

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
when you are "reinstalling" the OS are you choosing to format the disk and wipe everything before hand?

I can't even get into that option, it just shows the windows logo then reboots and loops.
At least on the portable linux, I can get to a menu screen but when I select tstart teh os it goes to a blank screen.

I can't even get into that option, it just shows the windows logo then reboots and loops.
when booting from the USB installation media, not from an installed disk,
you see a logo and then a reboot occurs?

are you sure you have the BIOS set to boot from USB
and you are not just seeing the Windows logo again because the system is trying to load Windows normally?

Reactions: drea.drechsler

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
when booting from the USB installation media, not from an installed disk,
you see a logo and then a reboot occurs?

are you sure you have the BIOS set to boot from USB
and you are not just seeing the Windows logo again because the system is trying to load Windows normally?
Yes its booting from the usb, I even tried it with all hd unhooked. no idea

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Did you reset CMOS? I'd suggest pulling the battery also, when you do.
Yes I cleared CMOS, and updated to latest BIOS.
So heres the backstory to why I upgraded my motherboard. I had 64gb ram installed and one day it wouldn't boot. So I removed the ram and left one stick in and it booted fine. I tested all 4 ram sticks individually and they were all fine. Only when I put them all in that the pc wouldn't boot. So I figured it was the motherboard.
Now I'm thinking it might be the ram, as only two ram at a time only works on the new board also. So ordered a new pair to test out.
I'll update once I get them today.

Yes I cleared CMOS, and updated to latest BIOS.
So heres the backstory to why I upgraded my motherboard. I had 64gb ram installed and one day it wouldn't boot. So I removed the ram and left one stick in and it booted fine. I tested all 4 ram sticks individually and they were all fine. Only when I put them all in that the pc wouldn't boot. So I figured it was the motherboard.
Now I'm thinking it might be the ram, as only two ram at a time only works on the new board also. So ordered a new pair to test out.
I'll update once I get them today.
What CPU, memory and motherboard precisely?

How are you setting up the RAM? 4 sticks can be pretty difficult at higher clocks so a lower clock may help. Also loosening the timings if you're running them pretty tight. Another thing to try is run at higher DRAM voltage: up to 1.45V is safe, but suggested not higher than 1.40V for 24/7 use.

And lastly, it might be your CPU and it might just not be able to run 4 sticks reliably. It might have been borderline before and you didn't know it. All it really takes is a few stray cosmic rays to push it over the edge.

Last edited:

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Original setup: 3900x, Asrock x570 Pro4, OLOy 64gb 3600 (4x16)
I know the ram brand isn't great, just got them at really good price back then for a budget build. Ran all 4 stable from 2100 - 2600. So they ran fine until recently.
Just tested another set of ram and same result.

Last edited:
Original setup: 3900x, Asrock x570 Pro4, OLOy 64gb 3600 (4x16)
I know the ram brand isn't great, just got them at really good price back then for a budget build. Ran all 4 stable from 2100 - 2600. So they ran fine until recently.
Just tested another set of ram and same result.
So if 2100 isn't getting to post something else might be at work. Relaxing timings or boosting voltage can help too. DDR4 is required to be able to work at up to 1.5V but mfr's spec. as low as 1.2V for low energy useage. Don't be afraid to try a high voltage if for no other reason than to see if it posts as then you'll know where the trouble is.

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
So if 2100 isn't getting to post something else might be at work. Relaxing timings or boosting voltage can help too. DDR4 is required to be able to work at up to 1.5V but mfr's spec. as low as 1.2V for low energy useage. Don't be afraid to try a high voltage if for no other reason than to see if it posts as then you'll know where the trouble is.
Just tried, still no go. 2 sticks in single channel works but not in dual channel.

It only works in 1&2, any other combination results in a reboot.
1&2 as in the first and second DIMM slot going away from the CPU? That's strange as they're each on a different memory channel. That suggests both channels are working from the CPU.

If so the only thing I can imagine that would cause it is something on the motherboard common to the 3rd and 4rth DIMM sockets, but separate from the 1st and 2nd. Those DIMM's being powered by a different VRM from 1st and 2nd DIMM sockets would explain it, but that's pretty much a guess.

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
1&2 as in the first and second DIMM slot going away from the CPU? That's strange as they're each on a different memory channel. That suggests both channels are working from the CPU.

If so the only thing I can imagine that would cause it is something on the motherboard common to the 3rd and 4rth DIMM sockets, but separate from the 1st and 2nd. Those DIMM's being powered by a different VRM from 1st and 2nd DIMM sockets would explain it, but that's pretty much a guess.

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
So I got my Asus motherboard replaced and it does the same thing. Stuck on windows logo then reboots. happens on previously install windows hd and windows install cd. Is there an Asus feature that I'm missing that is preventing me from booting? When I put my asrock motherboard back in it works fine (minus ram being in single channel only)

So I got my Asus motherboard replaced and it does the same thing. Stuck on windows logo then reboots. happens on previously install windows hd and windows install cd. Is there an Asus feature that I'm missing that is preventing me from booting? When I put my asrock motherboard back in it works fine (minus ram being in single channel only)

Nothing special I know of.

Since even on the Asrock board it only works with ram in the single channe it does sound like somethings not right though...quite possibly with the CPU since that's all that's left. I can't say why that would make it not work at all on an Asus board, although there's always a possibility Asus has the RAM wired differently or initializes the CPU differently from Asrock.

Bought another 3900x to test and it looks like it was the CPU.
Well...at least you're up and running now it's just too bad you had to go buy another CPU to get there.

You might go ahead and contact AMD tech support and see about an RMA as they might replace the bad CPU since it should still be in warranty. You'd have two then, but maybe you could sell one if you don't have use for it.

whashyourshtyle

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Well...at least you're up and running now it's just too bad you had to go buy another CPU to get there.

You might go ahead and contact AMD tech support and see about an RMA as they might replace the bad CPU since it should still be in warranty. You'd have two then, but maybe you could sell one if you don't have use for it.
Yup, just sent the cpu for an RMA. Depending on how long or if they do replace it, I still may be able to return the one I just bought.
Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS