Nov 23, 2021
A few weeks ago I went to play GTA V, but found that I could not play the game at all. After uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, verifying integrity of files, and updating all my drivers, with no change at all, I concluded that a pc component must have been failing. I also tried other games, with a similar sharp drop in performance. My PC was 4-5ish years old at this point with 16gb ram and a gtx 1080 graphics card. First I upgraded my ram to 32gb, and that had no change. I then went and got a 3070 TI graphics card from best buy. Last night I installed that, and did a deep clean checking all connections in my pc, but upon testing GTA still runs in an unplayable condition, as do many of my other games. I ran a test pc bench mark, but the results were inconclusive as while it could detect I had a 3070 TI, it couldn't determine model, and would not accept the model number I tried to manually input. If it matters my CPU is i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core. What can I do to troubleshoot further?

Solution
Drives record their own status. CrystalDiskInfo can retrieve it and make it more or less readable.

Drives that are nearly full will also have a large impact on performance, particularly SSDs. Without room for the swap file and room to perform trim functions (or in the case of a hard drive, no room for contiguous writing) you can experience random stutters and slow downs. Particularly if you are making use of all the system memory.

Well temperature is one thing. If the CPU is at 65C, but also only running at 2.6Ghz or something, that would be another sign of something wrong.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't be any manual input necessary to run a benchmark tool.

Have you been monitoring temperatures? Have you replaced the thermal compound on the CPU lately?

What power supply does this system have?

Have you done a complete GPU driver re-install? Nvidia installer has an option to do a clean install, but to be absolutely sure there is also:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Have you checked your storage devices to make sure they are in good condition?

Nov 23, 2021
Shouldn't be any manual input necessary to run a benchmark tool.

Have you been monitoring temperatures? Have you replaced the thermal compound on the CPU lately?

What power supply does this system have?

Have you done a complete GPU driver re-install? Nvidia installer has an option to do a clean install, but to be absolutely sure there is also:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Have you checked your storage devices to make sure they are in good condition?

I don't monitor temperatures very often, but when I would test the games the temps wouldn't change very much.
I replaced the thermal compound last night.
Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
I am working on uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, will post again when that is finished.
As far as I am aware there are no problems with my storage devices, but I am not very knowledgeable on how to check that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Drives record their own status. CrystalDiskInfo can retrieve it and make it more or less readable.

Drives that are nearly full will also have a large impact on performance, particularly SSDs. Without room for the swap file and room to perform trim functions (or in the case of a hard drive, no room for contiguous writing) you can experience random stutters and slow downs. Particularly if you are making use of all the system memory.

Well temperature is one thing. If the CPU is at 65C, but also only running at 2.6Ghz or something, that would be another sign of something wrong.

Solution
Nov 23, 2021

Checking with CrystalDiskInfo, 2 of my drives came in as "good", and my 3rd with my OS came in at "good 94%". Temperature wise they were all between 30c and 40c.
As for my CPU, it came in at an average of 35C. All three of my drives have between 40 and 200Gb of free space. The OS is the only SSD drive.

I also did a full uninstall and reinstall of my NVIDIA drivers, with no noticeable change in game performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Alright, so the CPU probably works. Drives work. That just leaves the RTX3070Ti and your GTX1080. PCIe slot could be the problem, re-seating the CPU may help there. But first thing to try would be the second PCIe 16x slot, (if applicable)

Pretty weird to have two broken cards.

Nov 23, 2021
Alright, so the CPU probably works. Drives work. That just leaves the RTX3070Ti and your GTX1080. PCIe slot could be the problem, re-seating the CPU may help there. But first thing to try would be the second PCIe 16x slot, (if applicable)

Pretty weird to have two broken cards.
I moved the 3070 to the snd slot on my motherboard, an AsRock Z270 killer, but nothing has changed

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
A few weeks ago I went to play GTA V, but found that I could not play the game at all. After uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, verifying integrity of files, and updating all my drivers, with no change at all, I concluded that a pc component must have been failing. I also tried other games, with a similar sharp drop in performance. My PC was 4-5ish years old at this point with 16gb ram and a gtx 1080 graphics card. First I upgraded my ram to 32gb, and that had no change. I then went and got a 3070 TI graphics card from best buy. Last night I installed that, and did a deep clean checking all connections in my pc, but upon testing GTA still runs in an unplayable condition, as do many of my other games. I ran a test pc bench mark, but the results were inconclusive as while it could detect I had a 3070 TI, it couldn't determine model, and would not accept the model number I tried to manually input. If it matters my CPU is i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core. What can I do to troubleshoot further?
What do you mean by the games being unplayable? Does the game start? What are the FPS? Is it crashing to desktop?

Nov 23, 2021
What do you mean by the games being unplayable? Does the game start? What are the FPS? Is it crashing to desktop?
GTA was the worst offender I have found so far. The game starts normally, until you select single player from the menu. When you load in, it takes upwards of a minute for the game to finish loading from black, with each frame having a second or longer pause. From there no button inputs are recognized outside of spamming, and the game runs so slow that no mouse movements of any kind are detected. The game can only be closed via task manager because it cannot receive inputs. This is after lowering all settings to bare minimum. Other games like getting over it and subnautica will run and could be played, but at around 10fps on lowest settings. To be clear, my fps counts are estimates, I don't have any programs to count. The games all just run significantly worse then they did about a month ago.

GTA was the worst offender I have found so far. The game starts normally, until you select single player from the menu. When you load in, it takes upwards of a minute for the game to finish loading from black, with each frame having a second or longer pause. From there no button inputs are recognized outside of spamming, and the game runs so slow that no mouse movements of any kind are detected. The game can only be closed via task manager because it cannot receive inputs. This is after lowering all settings to bare minimum. Other games like getting over it and subnautica will run and could be played, but at around 10fps on lowest settings. To be clear, my fps counts are estimates, I don't have any programs to count. The games all just run significantly worse then they did about a month ago.
Run this with the browser closed.
PC Benchmark
Post a LINK to the results page let's see if something shows.

Nov 23, 2021
View: https://youtu.be/khy5n46rxKY

Here is a link to an unlisted video I made showing what happens when I try to play GTA. About half the video is the loading screen, sorry about that but my editing software is also effected by whatever the problem is, and would take quite a while to cut 30ish seconds off.

Nov 23, 2021
You might want to do a little house cleaning on the storage devices.

Verify optimize is running on a schedule for both disk.
Optimize is running weekly on all disks. I have an external storage unit and am going to move all things I want to keep from the C drive there, then I am going to try reinstalling windows

reinstalling windows seems to have fixed it. its midnight and ill test more tomorrow, but i was able to load into gta with no problems
That's so great to hear! Im sorry you spent all that money. Its fun game though that gta5, but I never really got into it.

Buy another i7 and 16gb of ddr4 from AliExpress an sell it all on ebay for a profit or sell it to friend who wants a decent gamin computer for cost.