upgrading a 450 pIII and need help

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i have a 45o pIII and i know formlooking around the compputer that the mother board can handel 800 mhz and don't want to try to upgrade the other stuff because it's a compaq.
so what i want to know what is the fast chip that i can fit into this motherboard i have that still fits the old scoket design

here some more stuff i found

Socket Designation . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Central Processor
Family . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pentium II
Manufacturer's Name . . . . . . . . . . . . GenuineIntel
Product Version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pentium III
Voltage
External Clock . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100MHz
Max Processor Speed . . . . . . . . . . . . 800Mhz
Processor Speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450Mhz
Processor Status . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41h
Processor Upgrade . . . . . . . . . . . . . Slot 1

G

Well I dont know, what type of motherboard it is, but you can play safe and get a Celeron 800, Finding P3's with a 100Mhz FSB is hard (Especially Slot 1).

I am assuming that your Max Processor value is the what the Motherboard can take as the fastest CPU speed.

You could get a Celeron 800 (100FSB/S370), P3 800(100/Slot-1) or a P3 800(133/S370).

Finding a P3 800 with a 100Mhz FSB and a slot 1 is going to be very hard (some places charge higher prices for Slot 1 CPU's).

What you could do is get a a Socket 370 to Slot 1 converter card and buy a Socket 370 CPU (try to get ones which can regulate the voltage as well).

Type of CPU well try to get one with a 100Mhz FSB that is the safest bet you can try with out tooo many problems.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
slot 1 p3 800Mhz, 100 Frontside bus: Pricewatch $200 Oem, $212 retail. I would double check with compaq about if the board will support the coppermine cores. When that mahine was made p3's were still the Katmi core(off die cache). Those chips also run at higher voltage then the new coppermines. At the least the upgrade is going to require a bios flash. Good luck trying to get compaq to tell you what voltages and cpus the board can support. Those idiots except you to keep the thing stock till it no longer functions then you buy a new one. No im not bashing manufactored systems....oh wait yes, yes I am......I really love compaqs too! Good luck upgrading though, the parts are availible, just make sure the board does support it or toasty p3 results.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A Celeron 800 would definately be faster than a P3-450. Especially since the new Celerons are using the 100MHz FSB.

But a P3-800 100MHz FSB Slot 1 would be better yet. So that's what I think you should go with. It'll be simple and effective. Who could beat that?

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
thanx for all the answer
is there any other p3 chips that fsb 100 that will work with my ssytem
they can be lowert than 800 mhz
i dodn't want to go to a celeron
if i don't have to

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
well i'm going to cpmpqa's website and i gusse i just going to have keep bugging them till i get it
is there any other way to find the voltage with ou them telling me

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've been hearing about 100MHz FSB Intel P3s that go even as high as 1GHz. It seems feasable to me that they could exist. However I don't know how high Slot 1 P3s go. So I'd just suggest typing in searches into Pricewatch to see if you can find any Slot 1 P3s that go higher than 800MHz. And if not, then just go with the 800.

Granted, there are always converters to put a flip chip in a slot package. But I'm not much of an expert on those since I've tried to stay with socket chips anyway. The slot was such a silly concept...

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It doesn't really matter what voltage your processor is currently at, because voltages are automatically detected. What matters is only the ability of your computer to self adjust to the proper voltage for a different kind of prosessor, namely the Coppermine. The Slot 1 coppermine is available at 100MHz up to 1GHZ but that version still cost well over $400, even with the latest price drops.

Suicide is painless...........

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
compaq just gave me a nice ruun around so igoing to try to figure what kind of board it is
by the way does anybody know what motherboards they use to put in the 5700 family that would fit a450 p3

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
all right i found out the mother board is made by via
so any body know where to find out which board it is

also i found out i have a 125w power supply is that enough for a 800 p3 chip

please respond asap becuase i'lll proably have to put the cover on this thing soon and then it will be a whiloe till i get into it again

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes you can get any PIII FC-PGA chip in a SECC2 (slot 1) version including a 1GHz version. You'll probably want a large power supply.

In Toronto look at: www.pccanada.com

- JW

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i found a 800 solt 1 at mwave.com i hear they are pretty good

now to find out if me via mother can handel a copper mine core
but i don't know where to look to get numbers or something to tell me what kind of mother board it is