Question Upgrading a All-in-One PC with CPU with higher TDP safe?

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Hello good people of this community,
I've got an older All-in-One Acer PC, which my younger brother uses as his main PC.

His current specs are:
CPU: i3-530
CPU Cooler: Some heatsink with Cooler Master fan
MoBo: H57 Acer OEM
RAM: 4x2GB Samsung DDR3 1333
GPU: NVIDIA GT 730 1GB
PSU: 220W (Chiconypower or Lite-On according to the manual)

A friend of mine is selling his components, and he got a i5-760, which uses a same socket (LGA 1156) as the i3-530.
I would consider this upgrade since the i5 is a quad-core, but the issue is, that the i3 got TDP 73W and the i5 got TDP 95W.
I've seen on userbenchmark that some users even manage to put an i7-870 (95W TDP as well), so I think it could work, but I would ask here first just for sure. What could possibly go wrong if I upgrade the CPU?
Thank you in advance

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Did the users have this exact motherboard? If so, assuming they're truthful, then it will probably work. However, there will still be substantial risks. The best case scenario of it not working is turning it on and nothing happening. The worst case scenario is destroying the motherboard, either initially or over time.

The problem is that prebuilt all-in-ones are the PCs with the worst documentation and that they're not made with robust parts. All-in-ones are essentially disposable computers.

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Did the users have this exact motherboard? If so, assuming they're truthful, then it will probably work. However, there will still be substantial risks. The best case scenario of it not working is turning it on and nothing happening. The worst case scenario is destroying the motherboard, either initially or over time.

The problem is that prebuilt all-in-ones are the PCs with the worst documentation and that they're not made with robust parts. All-in-ones are essentially disposable computers.

Firstly thank you for the response.
There's no information about the motherboard. When I search for the Model (Aspire Z3750), it's categorized as "System".
The motherboard itself got bit weird dimensions, it's wide as an ATX, longer/higher than Mini-ITX but shorter than µATX, so it could be hard to replace, since it's not a standard size, right?