[SOLVED] Upgrading a GTX960

Tsae82

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my GPU (GTX 960) - ideally i would like to be able to play Cyberpunk with medium - high settings and stable FPS.
I mostly play Overwatch on low settings which is not very demanding but Overwatch 2 might require a bit more from a PC.

Budget: 200 - 300 pounds (some flexibility here)
Specs:
Corsair VS550 550W KPC Bulk Edition
Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake Prosessor
ASUS B150M-A, S-1151, BULK, KUN PC-PROD
Kingston Value DDR4 2133MHz 8GB
ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 960 4GB

Fairly dated PC nowadays I imagine but seems to do the job.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
How old is the PSU? Is it the unit with the orange label/stickered part? Ideally you should've gone for a Z170 chipset board to take advantage of the processor and added in a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit.

You're looking at, at least, a GTX1060 or higher as your GPU upgrade but I would be wary of that PSU since it's technically bottom of the barrel grade PSU's.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU? Is it the unit with the orange label/stickered part? Ideally you should've gone for a Z170 chipset board to take advantage of the processor and added in a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit.

You're looking at, at least, a GTX1060 or higher as your GPU upgrade but I would be wary of that PSU since it's technically bottom of the barrel grade PSU's.

Solution

Tsae82

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply Lutfij.

The PSU is about 3 years old. The label shows the VS in orange text and the 550 in white text. I am not at home right so cannot check thoroughly. I could happily upgrade the PSU but would like to keep the budget to 100 pounds. Any recommendations? I understand that the Motherboard is not ideal especially in relation to the ram speed - i feel like this was a costly error but at least I learned from it.

Last edited: