Question Upgrading a secondary HDD (with programs installed) to RAID 1

Oct 24, 2020
Hello all!

My current configuration features a SSD that is used for boot (Windows 7) and a big HDD. Most of my installed programs are stored on the HDD that has two partitions. What I would like to do is upgrading that single HDD into a RAID 1 configuration. However, my research online has returned mixed results, and I am both not sure how I can (relatively) painlessly carry over my installed programs (well over 100), as well as realize the RAID 1 configuration. Do I have to backup the entire drive first somewhere and then wipe it before setting up RAID? What about my registry entries of my installed programs? I have the feeling there should be an easier way considering the drive is not related to boot, but I am not sure.

I would appreciate any help :)

All the best, Bob

Oct 24, 2020
I do not have a real need for a better solution than RAID 1 since my data is regularly backed up with my server, however, for short term work (which sadly has file sizes that I dont want to constantly sync) I want to protect it against physical failure of the drive only. Also I want to have it secured because I would like to avoid having to reinstall the huge number of programs I have installed while keeping effort low. If there is a better solution that requires only one additional drive, I am very interested to learn more!

How would I go about making sure I do not screw up my registry entries etc. when performing the upgrade? I am really quite scared about that...

I do of course know that I need multiple drives for a RAID 1 - bad wording on my end.