[SOLVED] Upgrading an old HP prebuilt

Bluesadventures

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
Hey guys, I was home for the holidays from school and caught up with my old man about some games we've been playing and he showed me his desktop, an old HP ENVY 700-327c (Click link for product information.) It was slow, the poor GTX 730 he put in it when he bought the system whined. I opened it up and the system was caked in dust and air. I cleaned it out, updated his drivers for him and its running a bit better. I'd still like for him to be able to experience some newer titles though. If I order him a new 650 WATT PSU and throw it in would it be able to house my old GTX 970 on that mobo or would I need to replace the mobo as well, it's my understanding manufacturers somehow link the mobo to the OS sometimes as well right? Would that leave the current installation unusable?

I'd appreciate any input or suggestions, he's an old timer and really enjoys gaming and I'd like to surprise him and let him try some newer games that are out if possible, just on a tight budget.

Solution
Do you know the model of 970? Your motherboard should handle the 970 with a better power supply but the case may have trouble it it's too big. You are correct the OS is tied to the motherboard. Before buying a new power supply, I'd check to see if the 970 fits first(make sure the computer is unplugged so it isn't getting any power), if it doesn't fit you either move the components to a new case or get a smaller graphics card such as a 750ti or 1050Ti.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Do you know the model of 970? Your motherboard should handle the 970 with a better power supply but the case may have trouble it it's too big. You are correct the OS is tied to the motherboard. Before buying a new power supply, I'd check to see if the 970 fits first(make sure the computer is unplugged so it isn't getting any power), if it doesn't fit you either move the components to a new case or get a smaller graphics card such as a 750ti or 1050Ti.

Solution

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Their could possibly be a compatibility issue when it comes to size, the 970 could be a little large for the OEM case. When I installed a 750ti in my Acer, I had move the hard drive plus disconnect front panel USB from the motherboard for it to fit.

Bluesadventures

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013

I'll bring it over and double check that it fits. It's a Evga Sc 970, pretty darn bulky.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

I'll be a tight squeeze, but it should fit. I found a person a person who installed a EVGA GTX 660 in their envy 700, it was an extremely tight fit but it fit, so your 970 should fit also as the EVGA GTX 660 and EVGA 970 70 are virtually the same size length and height wise.