[SOLVED] Upgrading an old PC for my son.

DonDouken

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Just bought myself a new high end pc and wanting to upgrade my old one for my son. I'm looking for cheapish upgrades to make this system better. Don't want it to play the newest games at the highest quality, more like mid ranged games at medium. Mainly looking to upgrade CPU/mobo and GPU. I thought about a 1060 but want a good cpu to run along side with as little bottle neck as possible and i don't really know where to start as I'm quite noobish :(

The system currently has;
  • AMD A8-7650k Radeon R7 integrated graphics
  • GTX 950
If you could recommend a CPU, Motherboard and ram that are all compatible that would be perfect!! Preferably an Intel CPU

Thank you!

Solution
Intel is loosing badly right now on all price ranges.
check here for all options:
for modest performance
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($137.69 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $257.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-28 11:24 EST-0500

This kind of config is just fine.
later on you can add GPU for a lot more horsepower. but...

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Also, what size is the case on the older PC (ATX, micro-ATX, etc.) Wouldn't want to recommend motherboard too large for the existing case if it's a smaller case. The size/wattage of the current PSU is indeed pertinent (ATX, SFX, etc. and the wattage. For instance, I have a Seasonic Ultra Prime Gold 650W PSU). Will need to know both for the PSU and the GPU to insure you have enough power to run everything.

Intel is loosing badly right now on all price ranges.
check here for all options:
for modest performance
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($137.69 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $257.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-28 11:24 EST-0500

This kind of config is just fine.
later on you can add GPU for a lot more horsepower. but if you are on a budget this is your choice.

Solution

DonDouken

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Also, what size is the case on the older PC (ATX, micro-ATX, etc.) Wouldn't want to recommend motherboard too large for the existing case if it's a smaller case. The size/wattage of the current PSU is indeed pertinent (ATX, SFX, etc. and the wattage. For instance, I have a Seasonic Ultra Prime Gold 650W PSU). Will need to know both for the PSU and the GPU to insure you have enough power to run everything.

micro atx but my case can fit both and my psu is RM 650x Gold

Last edited: