[SOLVED] Upgrading build to i9900k CPU

blue4euro4

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Hey,

I'm thinking of upgrading my setup as it's around 5 years old now and I'm thinking about changings the CPU to the i9900k
I've only ever upgraded the GPU to the 2080ti really recently as my old GPU was beginning to fall apart...

I'm wondering If I'm good to just get it and throw it in this build or do I need to upgrade other areas of this setup.
Would I need a new motherboard or upgrade RAM to get best use out of it?
My CPU has run fairly hot in the past too so maybe a new cooling system might be needed but not sure.
I may upgrade my PSU as I've had a few issue with it recently as well.

I'm asking for a lot of advise, I know, but I'm super appreciative of any time and help people can give.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£260.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£111.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£131.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£78.32 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.97 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£125.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: RTX 2080ti
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.79 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£72.33 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40.AUAR10B (£63.56 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1396.90

Solution
Hey,

I'm thinking of upgrading my setup as it's around 5 years old now and I'm thinking about changings the CPU to the i9900k
I've only ever upgraded the GPU to the 2080ti really recently as my old GPU was beginning to fall apart...

I'm wondering If I'm good to just get it and throw it in this build or do I need to upgrade other areas of this setup.
My CPU has run fairly hot in the past too so maybe a new cooling system might be needed but not sure.

I'm asking for a lot of advise, I know, but I'm super appreciative of any time and help people can give.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K...
Hey,

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£260.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£111.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£131.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£78.32 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.97 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£125.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: RTX 2080ti
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.79 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£72.33 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40.AUAR10B (£63.56 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1396.90
You need a new LGA 1151 (300 series) motherboard and DDR4 RAM with the i9900k.
You have a very good processor that needs better cooling.
You might be able to improve temps (10°C or better by performing a delid. The thermal paste between the CPU and heat-spreader degrades with time causing the CPU temperatures to rise.

Last edited:
Solution

blue4euro4

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
You need a new LGA 1151 (300 series) motherboard and DDR4 RAM with the i9900k.
You have a very good processor that needs better cooling.
You might be able to improve temps (10°C or better by performing a delid. The thermal paste between the CPU and heat-spreader degrades with time causing the CPU temperatures to rise.

I'll reapply it later this week and check that first then, thanks!
Is it worth getting something like a liquid cooling system?
The room where I keep the system is quite hot most of the time too which doesn't help matters.

I'll reapply it later this week and check that first then, thanks!
I not referring to the thermal compound between the cooler and heatspreader.
I was referring to the compound between the CPU die and the heatspreader.
See this video ->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bfEgVGYXow

Is it worth getting something like a liquid cooling system?
The room where I keep the system is quite hot most of the time too which doesn't help matters.
Having a warm room won't help on air or liquid.
For the i7-4790k I would go with Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B or PCGH edition.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9MPQ5Z

blue4euro4

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
I not referring to the thermal compound between the cooler and heatspreader.
I was referring to the compound between the CPU die and the heatspreader.
See this video ->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bfEgVGYXow

Having a warm room won't help on air or liquid.
For the i7-4790k I would go with Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B or PCGH edition.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9MPQ5Z

Oh, okay. I think that is honestly above my abilities.
I've had some power issues when lauching a few games in which my PC just cuts out.
My understanding is that it's basically running out of power somewhere and could be the PSU but as it doesn't happen often most likely an issue with a specific part?

I've had a look and considered getting this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs...u58VJAAoMpFcfcfxke-ld4RkH1eN2ibhoCWtoQAvD_BwE

Not sure if it's worth it or not or even what I'm looking for.

With the build I have at the moment I've had issue with most of the parts and some have even started to fall apart so feel it may be time for a big upgrade as it is.

Thanks for the help you've provided, it's been super useful!

You are looking at one of the top performing desktop CPUs.
You will be able to take advantage of all resources from your current GPU.
The price is very good...of course AMD has caused Intel CPUs to drop drastically in price.
You might need to get a new PSU if that one is older than 5 years.