Build Advice Upgrading/Building a PC for 2024, should I do it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Hello and thank you for reading.

My current RIG:
GPU:
(RTX 2070 AORUS SUPER)
CPU: (Ryzen 3700X)
PSU: (Corsair RM750X)
MB: (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon)
SSD: (ADATA XPG SX8200)
RAM: (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz 2x16GB)
Monitor: (Asus PG278QR)

Games I'm building PC for:
Future GTA 6
Future ARK II
ARK Survival Ascended
ARK Survival Evolved
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
And probably trying out Cyberpunk 2077

What I mostly want to play right now is ARK Survival Ascended where my desired framerate is what RTX 4090 provides, but price range for that is way too crazy.

So my goal is to buy a system that would be strong for RTX 4090 or any stronger cards that may come in future while I just buy RTX 4070 Ti for now.
Now do I either wait a bit until 4070 Ti Super cards come out, or do I buy 4070 Ti now and wait for 4090 prices to drop and sell and swap it later or even wait for 5k cards in future.

Basically.... I want future proof system where I can swap GPU's around as I want and dont need to worry about anything else (such us motherboard not supporting a GPU anymore as with my current MB I went with B450 knowing I'm not upgrading GPU anymore until it's time to buy completly new PC)

Which is now! Should I do it? In most games I'm still fine with current rig but I want to enjoy some ARK without low FPS... strugling on 20-30 most of the time while sometimes it drops to 12-15 even, it's just starting to bring me less joy.

As for monitor I'm sticking to 2k gaming for now but I'd always be open to go 4k in future as well when I upgrade to far stronger card.
-------------------------------------

If any questions please ask me, any kind of support or suggestions are greatly appretiated!
Best Regards.

Here's two cpu's I would look at. Either one would be a significant upgrade from your current cpu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JmhFf7/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000926wof
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X $176.61
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CZ3gXL/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000651wof
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D $319.99

Look for the reviews of these cards in a few weeks from now. In particular the RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB and RTX 4080 Super 20GB.
https://www.techpowerup.com/316842/...er-review-schedule-and-availability-confirmed
Man I really don't think either one of those gonna make a huge difference over 3700X though. For 1440p High gaming and specifically the games he listed. Not a big difference if any at all.

That be a waste of money.

Reactions: artk2219

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
It'll support a 4070 Ti, as in the card will work. There is the slight caveat that the 4070 Ti is a PCIe 4.0 x16 card and your motherboard is only PCIe 3.0 x16. But that just means the card will run in 3.0 x16, and from what benchmarks I can find for the likes of Cyberpunk at high resolutions it makes as good as zero difference.

You'll probably be okay even keeping the same processor, but you still have upgrade options there. No need to go for an entirely new system.

I think that with your rig, where after 4 years you can easily update the GPU and (if you choose) the CPU and get a highly respectable PC as a result, selling it to build something completely new defeats the object of trying to make these things "future proof".
Well that changes everything then, I honestly thought once i need to upgrade to a new card i'll need new motherborad for it to work and set myself knowing i'll be buying whole new PC. If that's not the case i'm totally fine buying something that works on my current rig that gives me good performance, even if it's just 40-60fps on max settings i'm good! Right now i'm 15-30 on medium.
B450 only supports PCIE 3.0 and not 4.0 but there is not card out there with which you would really notice a difference. It's a 2% max drop off with PCIE 3 vs 4, that's within margin of error on most things honestly. A cpu bottleneck would be a much more noticeable thing, and you wont even really have that with a 5800X3D, your base is fine for the next few years. If you really did want to upgrade something I would say it would be the graphics card, but even then youre fine for now. If you do want to upgrade your GPU I would suggest something like an RX 7900 XT or XTX, the vast majority of the performance of a 4090, for much less. The XTX has roughly 85% of the performance of a 4090 without ray tracing for 50 - 60% of the price. The 7900 XT is roughly 5% faster than the 4070 ti without ray tracing and has 8GB more VRAM for the same price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/28.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/5

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-review-a-costly-70-class-gpu/5
Yes if all else works if i upgrade GPU and doesn't highly bottleneck me then that's my goal then. But I'll be sticking to nVidia even if it's more expensive, just a fan and I really love shadowplay.
See if you are planning to get RTX4070Ti build. I highly recommend sticking to AM5 platform and not going down to AM4. Because if you get AM5 platform then you can simply throw in a New CPU when released and be done for. If you go down AM4 path then you be needing to upgrade the Whole PC again. Absolute waste of Money
Not going down, just want to use what i already have for as long as i can, but as soon as i need new motherboard i'll be then buying best of the best to future proof, basically all i want to ever worry about are GPU upgrades each 4 years i guess, untill it's time for whole new pc again.

Last edited:

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
If you get a 1080P monitor would your FPS go up enough? That would be the cheapest way to fix your FPS I think.

5800x3d should be a cheap upgrade after you sell your CPU. That would also help.
Not going down to 1080p I see that as downgrade, I would even go up to 4k if it wasn't a performance issue then, I love quality pictures so 2k is where i'll stay until my PC can handle 4k by far.
Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($472.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 48 GB (2 x 24 GB) DDR5-6400 CL36 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($889.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1500i (2023) 1500 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2702.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-21 14:33 EST-0500

This is what I would recommend if you plan to purchase now. All high quality components.

AM5 path is what will actually save you money over time. As then you only need to upgrade the CPU + GPU while using all other components as is.

I also went with 1500W PSU to get you enough headroom for RTX5000 series. And as other 1200W alternates(high quality ones) are in same ball park when it comes to price. And It is Corsair. The best.

That GPU is a Place Holder for RTX4070Ti Super when it releases.

That case is big enough to fit all the listed components and is designed to make working in it very easy.

I went with higher speed 48GB RAM over lower speed 64GB RAM. You can add second kit over time to increase it to 96GB. But seriously do you need that much of RAM. You can decide.

You can cut down on GPU to RTX4070 Super when it releases. As it is expected to perform on close to RTX4070Ti levels and cost as RTX4070. So double benefit. Unless RTX4070Ti Super is actually a lot better than RTX4070Ti go for RTX4070 Super instead.
1500W damn, 5k series will really need that much? And yes 48GB ram is more than enough i'm at 32 right now but i always love to have more if it's not too expensive and brings benefits.
Also my current case is MasterCase H500M, i forgot to mention.

Thanks for recommendations, considering to wait for 4070 Ti Super if it works with B450 without big bottlenecks and wait a few years then for whole PC upgrade.

Reactions: artk2219
Not going down to 1080p I see that as downgrade, I would even go up to 4k if it wasn't a performance issue then, I love quality pictures so 2k is where i'll stay until my PC can handle 4k by far.

1500W damn, 5k series will really need that much? And yes 48GB ram is more than enough i'm at 32 right now but i always love to have more if it's not too expensive and brings benefits.
Also my current case is MasterCase H500M, i forgot to mention.

Thanks for recommendations, considering to wait for 4070 Ti Super if it works with B450 without big bottlenecks and wait a few years then for whole PC upgrade.
Well that changes everything then, I honestly thought once i need to upgrade to a new card i'll need new motherborad for it to work and set myself knowing i'll be buying whole new PC. If that's not the case i'm totally fine buying something that works on my current rig that gives me good performance, even if it's just 40-60fps on max settings i'm good! Right now i'm 15-30 on medium.

Yes if all else works if i upgrade GPU and doesn't highly bottleneck me then that's my goal then. But I'll be sticking to nVidia even if it's more expensive, just a fan and I really love shadowplay.

Not going down, just want to use what i already have for as long as i can, but as soon as i need new motherboard i'll be then buying best of the best to future proof, basically all i want to ever worry about are GPU upgrades each 4 years i guess, untill it's time for whole new pc again.
See at this point. Just upgrade the GPU and the PC will work absolutely fine even with the R7 3700X as it won't bottle neck even RTX4070Ti Super at 1440p. Yes if you go for RTX4090 or possibly RTX4080 Super it may be a bottleneck(even then I highly doubt it will be at High settings for the games you play). But you are not. Don't worry about the CPU.

Yes I see you plan to use old PC and upgrade the GPU that is absolutely fine for now. But yes no need of a CPU upgrade though.

Yes stick to 1440p for now. And till you get RTX5090. After that depending on the performance of RTX5090 we can upgrade to 4K after that. But as you mostly play games which are AAA titles and highly demanding and want to get best visual experience. I say at that point if space allows consider OLED TVs specifically the ones from SONY. But yeah that is after you get RTX5090.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
If I stick to my current CPU and only wait for RTX 4070 Ti Super, would I still need to update bios for it to work or just in case of CPU upgrade? (my current bios version is from November 2019)

I don’t know that you’ll hurt anything. I know what people are saying about the 3700x not being a bottleneck but it appears right now they are selling on eBay for about $100 or just over. A consideration might be to get the 5700x, update the bios and drop in a 5700x. It looks like on eBay you can get a used one for $150. Or a newer one doesn’t run a lot more. But for less than 100 you could also upgrade the cpu and likely be set a couple of years and save for a full rebuild. That might put you at almost socket am6.

I don’t know that you’ll hurt anything. I know what people are saying about the 3700x not being a bottleneck but it appears right now they are selling on eBay for about $100 or just over. A consideration might be to get the 5700x, update the bios and drop in a 5700x. It looks like on eBay you can get a used one for $150. Or a newer one doesn’t run a lot more. But for less than 100 you could also upgrade the cpu and likely be set a couple of years and save for a full rebuild. That might put you at almost socket am6.
Don't know man. Seriously would not swap out a reliably working CPU for one from eBay even if the price difference is not much for the upgrade. Yes if the current one failed then he could have gone with eBay CPU to save a bit. But swapping out a reliable CPU like that is not worth it if you ask me. Specially not knowing how the one eBay was used. It may have been already pushed to its limits by OC. Not worth it if you ask me.

I would say to that watch the feedback. If you are buying from someone with say 2 feedbacks you’ve got a valid point. Personally I have 602 feedbacks with a 100% rate and I’ve sold multiple CPUs, gpus etc. it’s how I usually recoup $$ when I do my upgrades. Like when I built my i5 12600kf box this past month, I pretty much sold enough to pay for the board, case, cooler and cpu. So the only money I’m really out is for the 6800xt.

But many people make side money on it. I’d also point out I’ve bought multiple used gpus over the years and haven’t been burned. The big thing is that you look at how much positive feedback the person has, look at the location, and read the description very very carefully.

Also eBay covers items with a money back guarantee, so if you sell me something described as working and it’s not for example, then I have 30 days from getting it to reach out to you or file a claim via eBay. My experience is they typically side with the buyer. If you are selling their fees are high imo. But as you can kind of see, if people are selling, if they care about their feedback which can be difficult to build up, there is a big incentive to be honest and accurate.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Would still need BIOS update I think. It may work without it. If not simply update the BIOS and it will work.
hey, just to get back on this, I finally got my hands on the RTX 4070 Ti Super ASUS ROG Strix at the end of February.

I did not need BIOS update. However card came with cable that has 3 PSU connector slots where my PSU only has 2 cable slots, so I had to use one with pigtail which many said they don't recommend but some friends told me it shouldn't be a problem.

Now as much as I love the card and games running really good to meet up to my expectations, I did experience random PC shut downs! Maybe once or twice a month. But now for the past 3 days it happens every day and I'm getting concerned.
Dont know if it's the cable or something else... I'd need some support or ideas what to try.
I updated BIOS and it didn't help or it made it worse now? I dont know.

In event viewer logs I'm getting this:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

I never ever had any issues with processor so this is very weird...

If the you mean the secondary plug on one line it should have been fine. I think that’s a tier A power supply.

Personally I have the Corsair rm850x and I’m happy with it.

How old is the psu you have? If it’s not old you may contact the card manufacturer. Did you buy used or new?

Last edited:
hey, just to get back on this, I finally got my hands on the RTX 4070 Ti Super ASUS ROG Strix at the end of February.

I did not need BIOS update. However card came with cable that has 3 PSU connector slots where my PSU only has 2 cable slots, so I had to use one with pigtail which many said they don't recommend but some friends told me it shouldn't be a problem.

Now as much as I love the card and games running really good to meet up to my expectations, I did experience random PC shut downs! Maybe once or twice a month. But now for the past 3 days it happens every day and I'm getting concerned.
Dont know if it's the cable or something else... I'd need some support or ideas what to try.
I updated BIOS and it didn't help or it made it worse now? I dont know.

In event viewer logs I'm getting this:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

I never ever had any issues with processor so this is very weird...
Did you reseat CPU or something if you did that could be the problem.

Did you replug CPU Power Pins if not then do that.

Also did you try clearing CMOS and resetting BIOS. If not do that first.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Did you reseat CPU or something if you did that could be the problem.

Did you replug CPU Power Pins if not then do that.

Also did you try clearing CMOS and resetting BIOS. If not do that first.
Did not touch CPU for 2 years, not even sure how often does paste need to be replaced, the temps are perfectly fine still.

Didn't replug cpu pins yet can give it a try and i was about to try CMOS reset ye i guess i'll go for it, never done that before i'll look it up later today thanks.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
you should have the bios upto date. Those error messages were common when AMD was still fixing bugs with their AM4 platform.

Try updating all the drivers and bios and let us know.
I did update BIOS as mentioned, to latest (beta version) hope that's not an issue but people said it's recommended going to whatever is last, for a while I thought everything is fine then 3 more recent crashes with 2 just yesterday.

I switched a power plan also just now from Balanced to High Performance cause i think i had no crashes before with that, my friend mentioned i should try turning off PCI Express - Link State Power Management Setting to OFF which Balanced mode had it on Moderate power savings while High performance has it OFF by default so I just set it back to test.

And to think of it I think I did recently switch back to Balanced from High Perfomance and then start
getting this crashes again, (but i'm not 100% on that)

Last edited:

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Anyways more info that i can give of things done or that happened since i got card:
-At first i had some desktop freezes when i started my game up where i could only chat on discord/steam but couldn't enter task manager or close my game or any other apps, nothing. I had to use log out to trick it, and once it bugged out and had to use power button shut down. (happened only twice)
-So I just formated PC just to makes sure gpu drivers are fine since i didn't format in about 3-4 years and never had those issues again, but then shut downs began randomly.
-I also had some issues with mouse drivers stopping working for whatever reason and i couldn't delete it off my PC or reinstall... so ended up formating PC once again... (nuts xD)
-But since 2nd format all is fine except shut downs.
-About drivers... I always only let windows download all it needs with windows update, and I download GPU drivers manually. Is there anything else you guys recommend me downloading manually that might be issue?
-I also use MSI Afterburner and AMD Ryzen Master
(and in Ryzen master there's PPT and EDC that's always orange or red while i game, which i think was not an issue before i got the card unless i didn't pay enough attention to it.)

Temps of gpu or cpu are always fine! 40-50C gpu and 60-70 cpu

Last edited:

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Did any of that work.
Well I do one thing at the time so i can know which one helped, so far no crashes since i changed power plan, so IF it happens again i'll try cmos and cables, and if that doesn't help i'll try that chipset drivers the other guy suggested, but i thought windows updates takes care of those usually, no?

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
A lot of times. It seemed like at one point amd released a ryzen power plan so you might check that out. Are you on windows 10 or 11? If windows 10 you might upgrade it windows 11 should be free I think. But 11 may know better how to handle some of the power plans etc.
I'm at 10, yes i saw a free upgrade but i already hated moving from windows 7 to 10 back then, but now got used to 10, i think 11 dont know if i like yet.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
I get it. But next year you’d need to move over anyway. Most folks including older folks at my work that I help haven’t seemed to have too many issues picking up 11.
I just dont like the icons and start menu in middle of taskbar, god knows what else i'll hate if i switch and explore and looking for any random settings i know exactly where they are on 10 etc. unless some benefits are extremly important i dont see a reason to switch