Build Advice Upgrading/Building a PC for 2024, should I do it ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Hello and thank you for reading.

My current RIG:
GPU:
(RTX 2070 AORUS SUPER)
CPU: (Ryzen 3700X)
PSU: (Corsair RM750X)
MB: (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon)
SSD: (ADATA XPG SX8200)
RAM: (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz 2x16GB)
Monitor: (Asus PG278QR)

Games I'm building PC for:
Future GTA 6
Future ARK II
ARK Survival Ascended
ARK Survival Evolved
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
And probably trying out Cyberpunk 2077

What I mostly want to play right now is ARK Survival Ascended where my desired framerate is what RTX 4090 provides, but price range for that is way too crazy.

So my goal is to buy a system that would be strong for RTX 4090 or any stronger cards that may come in future while I just buy RTX 4070 Ti for now.
Now do I either wait a bit until 4070 Ti Super cards come out, or do I buy 4070 Ti now and wait for 4090 prices to drop and sell and swap it later or even wait for 5k cards in future.

Basically.... I want future proof system where I can swap GPU's around as I want and dont need to worry about anything else (such us motherboard not supporting a GPU anymore as with my current MB I went with B450 knowing I'm not upgrading GPU anymore until it's time to buy completly new PC)

Which is now! Should I do it? In most games I'm still fine with current rig but I want to enjoy some ARK without low FPS... strugling on 20-30 most of the time while sometimes it drops to 12-15 even, it's just starting to bring me less joy.

As for monitor I'm sticking to 2k gaming for now but I'd always be open to go 4k in future as well when I upgrade to far stronger card.
-------------------------------------

If any questions please ask me, any kind of support or suggestions are greatly appretiated!
Best Regards.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Did you reseat CPU or something if you did that could be the problem.

Did you replug CPU Power Pins if not then do that.

Also did you try clearing CMOS and resetting BIOS. If not do that first.
ok, had another shut down yesterday, now I re-plugged all cables on my PSU (except the main big one), and I reset my BIOS with holding screwdriver betwen JBAT1 pins. I checked some settings my XMP was off the rest seems to be same, but then again I never really changed anything else other than that so looks it it reset (there was a text for 3s before I entered bios that usually doesn't appear so I guess it's reset).

But yah, now it's waiting time again 😅

ok, had another shut down yesterday, now I re-plugged all cables on my PSU (except the main big one), and I reset my BIOS with holding screwdriver betwen JBAT1 pins. I checked some settings my XMP was off the rest seems to be same, but then again I never really changed anything else other than that so looks it it reset (there was a text for 3s before I entered bios that usually doesn't appear so I guess it's reset).

But yah, now it's waiting time again 😅
Yes

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Having issues with nVidia Shadowplay for no reason today. Whenever I alt-tab games it resets the recording.
So if I ALT+F10 to save last 5min it just saves few seconds from when I tabbed back in.
I have recordings today of it working just fine, it recorded my desktop and me going to a game and playing. I only watched some YT videos and went playing another game, and issues since then, 0 logic.
I'm so fed up with this computers and their dumb random issues out of a blue.

I also hear this crackling sounds in my headset whenever I tab in and out... I'm so confused what's going on now for no reason.
I reinstalled drivers, restarted PC, went right in to a game (ARK) and saved, it showed me logging in to my PC account even and how I enter game, it was fixed and then I tried it again and it was broken again...
So PC restart fixes it until I tab out of game ONCE. Or dont know... it's retarded.

Anyways... I restarted again, and went to Counter Strike 2 first tabbed around then saved, all shows fine, I exit and restart the game, still works, then I exit again and I start ARK game, I saved, shows how I exit counter strike and went to ark.
Andddddddd.... that's where it broke, tabing out of ARK, I went back to counter strike after and it was still broken. Doesn't show my desktop how I enter game only saves from point I entered game from.

Restarted again, went to Rocket League, all fine... I went to HITMAN 2, it broke... first I thought it's ARK causing it but looks like it doesn't matter. I dont know what to do, this is HIGHLY disturbing I save a lot of gameplay every day if something funny or amazing happens I CANT have this problem.

I tested many games some are fine and 3 breaks it, ARK, Hitman2 and Tekken 8. I can switch games around those that works just fine, but as soon as I enter ONE of the those that breaks it then all my games are broken and can only fix it by PC restart.

Need suggestions... :S

(No PC shutdowns so far at least, but PC's always finds SOMETHING NEW to piss me off with in life, ugh)

Having issues with nVidia Shadowplay for no reason today. Whenever I alt-tab games it resets the recording.
So if I ALT+F10 to save last 5min it just saves few seconds from when I tabbed back in.
I have recordings today of it working just fine, it recorded my desktop and me going to a game and playing. I only watched some YT videos and went playing another game, and issues since then, 0 logic.
I'm so fed up with this computers and their dumb random issues out of a blue.

I also hear this crackling sounds in my headset whenever I tab in and out... I'm so confused what's going on now for no reason.
I reinstalled drivers, restarted PC, went right in to a game (ARK) and saved, it showed me logging in to my PC account even and how I enter game, it was fixed and then I tried it again and it was broken again...
So PC restart fixes it until I tab out of game ONCE. Or dont know... it's retarded.

Anyways... I restarted again, and went to Counter Strike 2 first tabbed around then saved, all shows fine, I exit and restart the game, still works, then I exit again and I start ARK game, I saved, shows how I exit counter strike and went to ark.
Andddddddd.... that's where it broke, tabing out of ARK, I went back to counter strike after and it was still broken. Doesn't show my desktop how I enter game only saves from point I entered game from.

Restarted again, went to Rocket League, all fine... I went to HITMAN 2, it broke... first I thought it's ARK causing it but looks like it doesn't matter. I dont know what to do, this is HIGHLY disturbing I save a lot of gameplay every day if something funny or amazing happens I CANT have this problem.

I tested many games some are fine and 3 breaks it, ARK, Hitman2 and Tekken 8. I can switch games around those that works just fine, but as soon as I enter ONE of the those that breaks it then all my games are broken and can only fix it by PC restart.

Need suggestions... :S

(No PC shutdowns so far at least, but PC's always finds SOMETHING NEW to piss me off with in life, ugh)
Just check how much of RAM is showing up. Is it 32GB or only 16GB.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Last edited:

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Well.... here comes another PC restart, during Counter Strike 2 (for the first time), usually it's always in Monster Hunter World or ARK (was once, and I lost 20 days of hard work cause some of my files corruped cause of it that day, actually was twice, 2nd time it didn't corrupt to my luck)
:worried:

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
I guess I should try this next? Or did windows took care of that already. I'm so stressed, even my mouse started glitching for no reason in Rocket League, nothing goes right, just new issues out of nothing.

Any way to test GPU to know if it's defeted and may need replacement or should I send it to some shop to do it for me?

I've been playing Cyberpunk and Forza Horizon 5 for the past 2 days, no issues, dont know why today just instant crash after I joined CS2, I was doing some excel work for 8 hours, wanted to just take a break and play something and it just shut down after 2-3 rounds. Then I instantly returned to game to continue match, and after 2 more rounds game just froze and had some weird barely seen screen flashes and I force close it and restarted again and finished the match then quit to write this.