Question Upgrading CPU

Hakeem_GR

Commendable
Feb 28, 2017
I wanna ask, i have i5-4460 and wanna upgrade to second hand i7-4790k cause Its the same as ryzen 5 2600 as i see on the internet, is it worth?, I don't have budget to buy new ram & new mobo

Yes, depending on how much you can get one for on the used market or find a NOS unit for (New old stock), it is a worthwhile upgrade. Actually, depending on WHAT you are doing and how beneficial the additional cores on that Ryzen SKU are for that process, it might even be a better performer because it absolutely has better single core performance and only lacks a few cores and threads. Anything that is not highly optimized for multithreading, will perform better on the 4790k.

Hakeem_GR

Commendable
Feb 28, 2017
I only use it for gaming, and the price of ryzen 5 2600 and used i7 4760k is the same ini my country, if i buy ryzen 5, i get new one but i could'nt afford new Mobo and ram, XD.

And i wanna ask, does my i5 4460 bottlenecking my rx 480?

Probably on newer titles that can make use of multi core processes. If the game is optimized for multithreaded performance then that four core is going to hold you back in comparison to any newer or same gen CPU with hyperthreading or more cores. If you play games that are primarily or entirely single core limited, then you won't see much difference on those titles but most games that are from the past two years are highly optimized for multithreaded performance.

I think the 4790k is the better option IF your motherboard is in good condition and if you can't afford a new platform with motherboard and memory. Honestly, might be better even if you could.

If you look here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/2275vs3243 you'll see the single core performance of the 4790k is SUBSTANTIALLY better than the Ryzen 5 2600 and the 4790k is capable of a total of 8 threads compared to the Ryzen's 12 threads, BUT there are not many games that can take advantage of more than 8 threads anyhow. About the only way the Ryzen is the better option is on games that are absolutely optimized for MANY threads OR if you are gaming, recording and streaming simultaneously, because then those other processes have threads free to handle those tasks, whereas the 4790k will not have as many free threads in that situation.

Dollar for dollar though, given that the CPUs are similarly priced but you'd need other hardware for the Ryzen, it's almost a no brainer.

Reactions: Hakeem_GR