Question Upgrading from APU to APU+GPU, what should I go with? A 10-series or 30-series?

ArmanEsf

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
Hi Everyone,
I have my "gaming" PC for just over a year now:

MB: Asus Prime B550M-A (Wi-Fi) BIOS Ver: 2803
APU: AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3200
PSU: 650W 80+ Gold

Now I want to upgrade it a little bit, My requirements:
1080p resolution for gaming because I'm not buying a new monitor and reasonable framerates, my current monitor is 60Hz.

My Budget is around 300$.
And I don't know if I should change my APU to a CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600 or a Ryzen 5 5600, or stick with the APU and don't use its "Graphical unit"!
My options are:
1- Go for a used ASUS ROG 1080 Ti 11G GAMING OC, and use my APU as a CPU.
2- Buy a new 30-series GPU like the Gigabyte 3050 Gaming OC (which is going to cost me double the price)

I appreciate any suggestions.

ArmanEsf

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
Thanks for your response.

I agree with you but that's over my budget because there is a shortage of AMD CPUs in my country so the prices are ridiculously high, If I can sell my APU the 5600x is around 200$ and higher, and the RTX 4060 starts from 340$ for the brands like Inno3d and Zotac, so If I manage to sell my APU at the best price like 100 bucks still not enough!

my PSU is from a local brand called Green (its GP650A-UK Plus), I bought it new almost a year ago, any specifications you're looking for?

Thanks for the BIOS version update, maybe this one helps the freaking stutters.

Thanks for your response.

I agree with you but that's over my budget because there is a shortage of AMD CPUs in my country so the prices are ridiculously high, If I can sell my APU the 5600x is around 200$ and higher, and the RTX 4060 starts from 340$ for the brands like Inno3d and Zotac, so If I manage to sell my APU at the best price like 100 bucks still not enough!

my PSU is from a local brand called Green (its GP650A-UK Plus), I bought it new almost a year ago, any specifications you're looking for?

Thanks for the BIOS version update, maybe this one helps the freaking stutters.
At 1080p it's CPU that does most work but APU is not very well suited for gaming, practically any dedicated graphic card would be better. That 1080Ti would be great match as it's best of it's generation but you have to be extra careful as best of a generation was frequently used for mining.
Considering your CPU there are other options like brand new Rx 6600(XT) because you will still be limited by CPU and even newest, best GPU would not help. Used Nvidia are overpriced and new is new.

Reactions: ArmanEsf

ArmanEsf

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
At 1080p it's CPU that does most work
Thank you for your reply, I didn't know that.

So your suggestion is that the best way is to replace my APU with a CPU and try to buy a new GPU over a used one?
Thanks for the mining issue, I'm aware of that and I'll try my best to buy a GPU that has good temps and conditions.
About the Rx 6600XT, neither I nor my friends have any good experience with the AMD GPUs so I'm not going for AMD in this case.

Thank you for your reply, I didn't know that.

So your suggestion is that the best way is to replace my APU with a CPU and try to buy a new GPU over a used one?
Thanks for the mining issue, I'm aware of that and I'll try my best to buy a GPU that has good temps and conditions.
About the Rx 6600XT, neither I nor my friends have any good experience with the AMD GPUs so I'm not going for AMD in this case.
That APU is actually from 3000 series with graphics but meant for OEM manufacturers, performance wise about R5 3600 which is not all that bad. R5 5600 is up to 17-20% better. APU is somwhere about performance of GTx 1030 if you compare to Nvidia.

Reactions: ArmanEsf

ArmanEsf

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
I regret why I didn't go with Intel CPUs at first and a 750Ti or 1030 or 1050 and upgrade it later but in another way, I'm partly satisfied with it because it runs new game smoothly even at a low FPS( IDK how to explain it).
I prefer selling the bundle (MB+APU) and switching to Intel + Nvidia, But if I can sell the APU I'll get a R5 3600 or 5600 and a new GPU or at least a newer gen used GPU.

ArmanEsf

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
Hi again,
I don't know if it's ok to ask this here or start a new post!
But I found a Asus dual RTX 3060 Ti oc that it belongs to one of my friends and has good temps and conditions.

I'm hesitant because I found a couple posts on the forum about this card temps and it's 8GB vRAM which some say isn't enough in a couple years but I'm not going for higher than 1080p so that's fine.
s
My second concern is why Asus released a v2 of this card and I didn't found any specs explaining the v2 or issues with the first version?

and my PSU is a 650W 80+ Gold but asus says it needs a 750W, is this gonna be an issue?