[SOLVED] Upgrading from i5 7400 to i7 9700

Mar 30, 2020
Hello I have some questions :
I have a computer with 16gb ddr4 ram , gtx 1060 3gb and an i5 7400. I am playing a lot of rust atm and when I play it I get 60-100 FPS , but after an hour it drops to 40-60 FPS . I think the problem is my cpu , so I want to change it. I want to change it to an i7 9700 but I am not sure if it is the 1 I should choose. Is it worth it? Will it solve my problem? Do I need to change / do stuff with windows? If this is not the cpu that solves my problem what do you recommend? If my cpu is not the problem what else is the problem?

Thanks for your answers.

Solution
As the i5-7400 came with a heat sink from Intel, so that's a likely probability as an installed type...; it should be enough to prevent thermal throttling, but, you can try opening up your case to see if a little less heat build up in case gives more headroom before the slowdown occurs.

Alternatively, you could run a CPU-z stress test and observe clock speeds and temps with HWMonitor, and then not temps/clock speeds after 1 hour. (CPU-Z's included CPU stress test puts about as much CPU stress on a CPU as any intensive game, but, less than that of Prime95)

HWMonitor could be left running in the background while gaming, and, note what temps are hit on the GPU as well; perhaps some GPU overheating is occurring, resulting in drastic...

adam19255

Respectable
Dec 13, 2018
Your CPU is not the problem, what I think is happening is an overheating issue in your PC, you should clean your PC and change the thermal paste of your CPU, and if you want the 9700 you would need a new board as well because the one you have now isn't compatible

Mar 30, 2020
Your CPU is not the problem, what I think is happening is an overheating issue in your PC, you should clean your PC and change the thermal paste of your CPU, and if you want the 9700 you would need a new board as well because the one you have now isn't compatible
thx for your answer. I checked the temperature of my cpu today and it was constantly 40 degrees. I’ll do what you said I hope thats gonna fix it. And do I need an anti static wrist strap if I replace the cool pasta and clean it? And do you have any tips for cleaning it?

adam19255

Respectable
Dec 13, 2018
thx for your answer. I checked the temperature of my cpu today and it was constantly 40 degrees. I’ll do what you said I hope thats gonna fix it. And do I need an anti static wrist strap if I replace the cool pasta and clean it? And do you have any tips for cleaning it?
No need for a wrist strap, put some alcohol on a paper towel and clean it no need for something special

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Are you saying your CPU is reporting 40 degrees while you are playing? If so, more than likely it is inaccurate which means you don't really know what temps your CPU hits. What type of heat sink do you have?

Mar 30, 2020
Are you saying your CPU is reporting 40 degrees while you are playing? If so, more than likely it is inaccurate which means you don't really know what temps your CPU hits. What type of heat sink do you have?
I checked the temp on bios. I will check the temp while gaming. Idk what type of heat sink I have.

As the i5-7400 came with a heat sink from Intel, so that's a likely probability as an installed type...; it should be enough to prevent thermal throttling, but, you can try opening up your case to see if a little less heat build up in case gives more headroom before the slowdown occurs.

Alternatively, you could run a CPU-z stress test and observe clock speeds and temps with HWMonitor, and then not temps/clock speeds after 1 hour. (CPU-Z's included CPU stress test puts about as much CPU stress on a CPU as any intensive game, but, less than that of Prime95)

HWMonitor could be left running in the background while gaming, and, note what temps are hit on the GPU as well; perhaps some GPU overheating is occurring, resulting in drastic lowering of GPU clocks...

Solution
Mar 30, 2020

HWMonitor could be left running in the background while gaming, and, note what temps are hit on the GPU as well; perhaps some GPU overheating is occurring, resulting in drastic lowering of GPU clocks...
Thx for your answer I’ll try that. Btw I found out that my cpu usage is 100% is that a problem? And what do you exactly mean with ‘and then not temps/clock speeds after 1 hour’? Do I need to stop the test and do it again later (when I reached the FPS drop)? Or what do you mean?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
I did the stress test for 1 hour and I got the max results :

CPU : Package : 65 degrees Core#0 63degrees Core#1 65 degrees Core#2 59degrees Core#3 60degrees. Clocks : Core#0 3493 MHz Core#1 3395 MHz Core#2 3395 MHz Core#3 3491.

GPU :

Temp : 54degrees

clocks :

graphics : 1506 MHz

Memory : 4007 MHz

Video : 1354 MHz

these results are before the FPS drop

Mar 30, 2020
I did the stress test for 1 hour and I got the max results :

CPU : Package : 65 degrees Core#0 63degrees Core#1 65 degrees Core#2 59degrees Core#3 60degrees. Clocks : Core#0 3493 MHz Core#1 3395 MHz Core#2 3395 MHz Core#3 3491.

GPU :

Temp : 54degrees

clocks :

graphics : 1506 MHz

Memory : 4007 MHz

Video : 1354 MHz

these results are before the FPS drop

My GPU temp is already 73degrees before the FPS drop. My gpu is the problem not the cpu