[SOLVED] Upgrading from i5 8400

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
So the question is pretty straight forward. I've been thinking upgrading my CPU for a while but I'm unsure about whether it get an i7 or an i9. I have heard that i7 does have some overheating problems but that's just from a quick glance at what others have posted. In your opinion which CPU would be better and why? (I'm pretty open minded about any opinions). And if I did upgrade, would I have to upgrade any of my components? Thanks in advance!
My current PC spec are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
Mobo: Gigabyte H310M A
RAM: Patriot DDR4 8gb ( 4gb x2) 2400 MHz
PSU: Corsair CX 550W 80+
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070

Solution
Before I continue... for your MoBo, pretty much any DDR4 DIMM RAM will do. Don't buy some expensive (fast) RAM, because your MoBo only supports speed up to 2666MHz. You can use faster RAM, but you gain nothing. But if you plan to build new PC soon (say, next year), then money isn't thrown away, because then you already have fast RAM ready. Note: speed of RAM isn't really that noticeable in "normal" use. However, by increasing RAM capacity, your PC will "breath" better, which is noticed as better overall responsiveness in daily use.
Yes, your Mobo is "basic", but question is, what are you missing? As for connectivity, changing to another (newer) micro-ATX board, won't bring much. You would need to go for mini- or full ATX board, to get...

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I've never really been drawn to the -K CPUs as I only do moderate gaming and I also use it for school so I don't really have a reason to overclock anything. How much of an upgrade would an 8700 be given the components I already have? I wouldn't really mind upgrading my components but I also wouldn't want to buy anything unnecessary.

logainofhades

Titan
The 8700 would help you in games that want more resources than your i5 8400 can provide. 6c/12t cpu's are kinda the sweet spot, for gaming, right now. Your multitasking performance would also be improved. Another option would be to wait and see how 4th gen Ryzen plays out.

Reactions: RodroX

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I've personally never tried Ryzen but I have heard some good things about them. Are they better than Intel when it comes to gaming/ multitasking? Or is it one of those personal preferences deals?

I've personally never tried Ryzen but I have heard some good things about them. Are they better than Intel when it comes to gaming/ multitasking? Or is it one of those personal preferences deals?

they are SLIGHTLY worse at gaming at the very top end, but not significantly, an much better at everything else, and generally more powerful at the same price point.

Reactions: RodroX
Your current PC is more on budget friendly side and throwing in some (expensive) i9 doesn't make sense to me. I fully agree with ScrewySqrl: get 8700 and you'll get best performance increase at minimal costs, by only changing CPU.
Overheating? We can read such posts for all existing CPU's. It happens to those who don't properly install cooler and/or don't pay attention to airflow -simple as that.
As for upgrading some other components... Well, as soon you start thinking that way, you're on the path to actually build entirely new PC. But going from 2x4Gb to 2x8Gb RAM sure makes a difference.
Right now, AMD Ryzen CPU's have quite better price/performance ratio -is not some "personal preference". But would sure be more costly than only upgrading your CPU.

agent_9

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Thank you all for the replies! BogdanH you're absolutely right; no point throwing money into what will basically turn into a completely new PC. As far as upgrading RAM as well, I assume there are places online where you can check compatibility? I know I'm going away from the original question, and I apologize for that , but if I wanted to upgrade the motherboard as well(its a pretty basic one) could you point me to some that would be a little better?
Also apologies for the late replies. College and my jobs have been crazy recently!

Last edited:
Before I continue... for your MoBo, pretty much any DDR4 DIMM RAM will do. Don't buy some expensive (fast) RAM, because your MoBo only supports speed up to 2666MHz. You can use faster RAM, but you gain nothing. But if you plan to build new PC soon (say, next year), then money isn't thrown away, because then you already have fast RAM ready. Note: speed of RAM isn't really that noticeable in "normal" use. However, by increasing RAM capacity, your PC will "breath" better, which is noticed as better overall responsiveness in daily use.
Yes, your Mobo is "basic", but question is, what are you missing? As for connectivity, changing to another (newer) micro-ATX board, won't bring much. You would need to go for mini- or full ATX board, to get more flexibility (if there's space in your PC case). Btw. I assume you already use SSD storage, right? Don't say I'm wrong :)
So, changing CPU and RAM.. AND maybe Mobo? If you think about that option, then I would suggest you switch to AMD CPU. Because you would get newer system with better performance for same (or less) money -I personally would choose that route (if budget would allow).
No matter what route you choose, make fresh Windows install!
I hope that was of some help. Wish you "smart" decission :)

Solution