Question Upgrading from OEM PSU... Minor rails?

Tommy_24

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Hello everyone,
Please accept my apologies, I saw a post with a similar situation, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for within. I hope this is different enough to justify posting...
I am upgrading my DELL XPS 8300. I'd like to purchase components that I can migrate to a new custom build a year or two later.
I have my eyes set on the GTX 1660 TI with a new 600 - 650 watt PSU. I'd like to confirm something first.

Someone posted some interesting info regarding PSU upgrades... he essentially states It would be best to match your upgrade to those specs of the OEM DELL PSU.
Hence, If minor rails don't supply the required powered, it may go POOF! He's very adamant about the "combine wattage" of the 3.3/5v rails.

DELL PSU: Minor Rail - 3.3V (17A) : 5V (25A) Combined = 142W
EVGA PSU Upgrade: Minor Rail - 3.3V (24A) : 5V (22A) Combined = 110W

(I've included photos of the OEM PSU and the PSU I'd like to purchase)

OEM PSU

EVGA PSU Upgrade

Do the minor rails really matter? I notice combine watt of minor rails gets lower as quality improves with newer PSUs'... Please help...

I look forward to reading your input, Thanks so much for your time.

Just in case you're curious about the post and person I mentioned,
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/Studio-XPS-8100-compatible-power-supplies/td-p/6199228
Poster = Speedstep

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is because newer computers don't use much of the lower voltages. Almost exclusively they consume 12V+ and convert it to the low .7-1.2 volts used to actually run contemporary integrated circuits.

As efficiency has gone up for the various components that do run on 5V and 3.3V those requirements have been going down a lot.

Standard ATX motherboard, I see no reason the power supply choice you have made won't work.

Tommy_24

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Well. Thanks everyone. Looking around and getting input from here and there..., and a gut feeling from the warnings of that previously mentioned post, I'll take the cautious approach and
I'll go with the CORSAIR TX650M 80+ Gold.

https://ibb.co/nzKs8WK
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139207

Let me know what you think!
Thanks again.

The Post that helped most (from EVGA forum) [with minor re-wording]

"The question would then become is the Dell PSU oversized on any Rail for total Amps for a good reason[?]
[An] "available option" that you may not even have [be aware of?]
The cautious person would select a PSU that exceeds the OEM PSU Amps @ all voltages"

I agree with your friend.
Dell, like all these companies, never spend extra money on things they don't need, always use bare minimum to make it work.

So if the original Dell needs the 142W and lets say they remove 20% for overheards, thats still 110 watts needed.
Now the new PSU is only offering 110W max, so it would struggle a bit being run at 100%

What the guys above say is true in the fact that modern stuff doesn't use so much low voltage anymore, but we aren't talking about a modern computer. We are talking about your 9 year old Dell...Which required 142W PSU in low voltage.

To be 100% sure, you could ask Dell what the Specs are of your machine in power draws and would the reduction in the 3/5v to 110W be a problem.