Question Upgrading from Ryzen 5 5500

Cameron_30

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2016
As the title states, I have a 5500 currently which I use mostly for playing Escape from Tarkov (not the best performance).

I have a 4060ti that I believe is bottlenecks by this CPU. I’ve been wanting to upgrade but not sure what CPU would be best for my situation. I have heard the Ryzen 7800x3D is good, but very pricey. I’ve also heard the Ryzen 5 7600x compares slightly to that CPU in performance but a few hundred bucks cheaper.

Does anyone have recommendations to what would be a good upgrade for me?

kanewolf

Titan
As the title states, I have a 5500 currently which I use mostly for playing Escape from Tarkov (not the best performance).

I have a 4060ti that I believe is bottlenecks by this CPU. I’ve been wanting to upgrade but not sure what CPU would be best for my situation. I have heard the Ryzen 7800x3D is good, but very pricey. I’ve also heard the Ryzen 5 7600x compares slightly to that CPU in performance but a few hundred bucks cheaper.

Does anyone have recommendations to what would be a good upgrade for me?
Just to be clear. That "upgrade" is a complete replacement. CPU, RAM, motherboard and a clean OS install for best performance.

Cameron_30

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2016
Yes, being Am4 platform. Am5 (7600, 7800x3D etc) uses 6xx series motherboard, also DDR5 ram. 5800x3D is no slouch btw, certainly an upgrade.
I’ve seen other threads also saying the 5700/5600x is a great value as well for performance. Where I am the difference between these two and the 5800x3D is roughly $200, do you think it’s worth spending the extra for that?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If just games you rely on performance then yes.

See game benchmarks.

If you do upgrade, what's your plan on cooling? Stock cooler isn't really enough for 5800x3D and i hope you have decent case air flow as in intake/exhaust fans. For a cooler, Noctua U12a is decent but cost a bit, their mounting system and fan is second to none that's why. Or search for something that is equivalent for lesser price.

What's your current ram speed btw? If it's less than 2933 then i would probably wonder if it's worth upgrading to 5800x3D and just do an overhaul with 7600x and 6000 CL 30 ram. If your ram is capable of 3200 xmp then by all means.

Cameron_30

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2016
If just games you rely on performance then yes.

See game benchmarks.

If you do upgrade, what's your plan on cooling? Stock cooler isn't really enough for 5800x3D and i hope you have decent case air flow as in intake/exhaust fans. For a cooler, Noctua U12a is decent but cost a bit, their mounting system and fan is second to none that's why. Or search for something that is equivalent for lesser price.

What's your current ram speed btw? If it's less than 2933 then i would probably wonder if it's worth upgrading to 5800x3D and just do an overhaul with 7600x and 6000 CL 30 ram. If your ram is capable of 3200 xmp then by all means.
Performance is my goal, however not that huge of a priority to spend hundreds extra for a few frames here or there. My RAM speed is definitely above 3200, I have a good airflow case but have been using the stock cooler for my 5500.

From benchmarks I’ve seen in tarkov, the 5700x3D seems excellent, and the 5800x3D a little bit more so.

I’m definitely leaning towards these but don’t have a huge knowledge of PCs and don’t want to have to change a ton of things, I’m fine to invest in a decent cooler to keep things at a good temp.