Upgrading from W95

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original Windows
95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of Millennium which is
not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version, possibly
OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the machine.
Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after reformatting the hard
drive and installing Me from scratch?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

You say it is "OEM" what kind of OEM? If it came with a Gateway Computer it
will probably load, however if it is for an H-P, Dell, etc. it will most
likely be keyed to the BIOS from that manufacturer and probably will not
load. Another OEM version may come with a purchased motherboard which may
or may not work. Check it before committing to a full reformat and reload.


"Silver Surfer" <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:deadnZPkPZPZo_HfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original Windows
>95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of Millennium which is
>not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version, possibly
>OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the machine.
>Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after reformatting the hard
>drive and installing Me from scratch?
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

The software is for a clone PC. It was assembled by a local mom and pop
computer business that is definitely on the up and up in regard to software
licensing. The CD has Microsoft's logo and holograms all over it.


"Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:s8Gdncog2MLz-_HfRVn-1w@comcast.com...
> You say it is "OEM" what kind of OEM? If it came with a Gateway Computer
> it will probably load, however if it is for an H-P, Dell, etc. it will
> most likely be keyed to the BIOS from that manufacturer and probably will
> not load. Another OEM version may come with a purchased motherboard which
> may or may not work. Check it before committing to a full reformat and
> reload.
>
>
> "Silver Surfer" <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:deadnZPkPZPZo_HfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>>A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original Windows
>>95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of Millennium which is
>>not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version, possibly
>>OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the machine.
>>Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after reformatting the
>>hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

It should be fine - make sure the system has at least 64M (preferably
128) of RAM.



Silver Surfer wrote:
> A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original Windows
> 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of Millennium which is
> not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version, possibly
> OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the machine.
> Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after reformatting the hard
> drive and installing Me from scratch?
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

OK. Thanks for the response. The machine has 96MB of RAM.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:HcYae.411$6z3.236@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> It should be fine - make sure the system has at least 64M (preferably 128)
> of RAM.
>
>
>
> Silver Surfer wrote:
>> A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>> Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of Millennium
>> which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version,
>> possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the
>> machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after
>> reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I think that is the problem, I don't think OEM full versions will upgrade a
previous version of windows. You will probably have to format the hdd and
install ME fresh.


"Silver Surfer" <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:UP6dnZN7ta6C7fHfRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> The software is for a clone PC. It was assembled by a local mom and pop
> computer business that is definitely on the up and up in regard to
> software licensing. The CD has Microsoft's logo and holograms all over
> it.
>
>
> "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:s8Gdncog2MLz-_HfRVn-1w@comcast.com...
>> You say it is "OEM" what kind of OEM? If it came with a Gateway Computer
>> it will probably load, however if it is for an H-P, Dell, etc. it will
>> most likely be keyed to the BIOS from that manufacturer and probably will
>> not load. Another OEM version may come with a purchased motherboard
>> which may or may not work. Check it before committing to a full reformat
>> and reload.
>>
>>
>> "Silver Surfer" <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:deadnZPkPZPZo_HfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>>>A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>>>Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of Millennium
>>>which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version,
>>>possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the
>>>machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after
>>>reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Based on my research here and elsewhere on the Web I believe you are
correct.

"Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:yG_ae.2945$Yc.506@trnddc06...
>I think that is the problem, I don't think OEM full versions will upgrade a
>previous version of windows. You will probably have to format the hdd and
>install ME fresh.
>
>
> "Silver Surfer" <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:UP6dnZN7ta6C7fHfRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
>> The software is for a clone PC. It was assembled by a local mom and pop
>> computer business that is definitely on the up and up in regard to
>> software licensing. The CD has Microsoft's logo and holograms all over
>> it.
>>
>>
>> "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:s8Gdncog2MLz-_HfRVn-1w@comcast.com...
>>> You say it is "OEM" what kind of OEM? If it came with a Gateway
>>> Computer it will probably load, however if it is for an H-P, Dell, etc.
>>> it will most likely be keyed to the BIOS from that manufacturer and
>>> probably will not load. Another OEM version may come with a purchased
>>> motherboard which may or may not work. Check it before committing to a
>>> full reformat and reload.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Silver Surfer" <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:deadnZPkPZPZo_HfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>>>>A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>>>>Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of
>>>>Millennium which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a
>>>>full version, possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that
>>>>W95 is on the machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system
>>>>after reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

>>> A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>>> Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of
>>> Millennium
>>> which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full version,
>>> possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on the
>>> machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after
>>> reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?

Presuming the OS loads OK, I doubt you'll have any problems with drivers.
Since it seems to be an older computer, Win ME should have all the drivers,
if the hardware (sound, video, modem, HD controllers) aren't too obscure
and it's all original equipment. But if any new hardware has been installed
in the system in the last four or five years, you might need to obtain
drivers for that hardware. The same is true for any peripherals you add to
the system (although you should already have drivers available).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Which brings to mind the original modem in this machine. It's a TelePath
56k fax modem. In looking around the Gateway site I don't find any drivers
listed for this device that pertain to Millennium, just W98 and NT. Is this
going to be a problem?


"pengulin" <peng@nowhwere.noplace> wrote in message
news:tcKdnbsHmNfZPfPfRVn-3Q@midco.net...
>>>> A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>>>> Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of
>>>> Millennium
>>>> which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full
>>>> version,
>>>> possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on
>>>> the
>>>> machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after
>>>> reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
>
> Presuming the OS loads OK, I doubt you'll have any problems with drivers.
> Since it seems to be an older computer, Win ME should have all the
> drivers,
> if the hardware (sound, video, modem, HD controllers) aren't too obscure
> and it's all original equipment. But if any new hardware has been
> installed
> in the system in the last four or five years, you might need to obtain
> drivers for that hardware. The same is true for any peripherals you add to
> the system (although you should already have drivers available).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Try the 3COM/U.S. Robotics web site. Identify the model of the modem according
to the part number on the sticker... Ben Myers

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:03:53 -0400, "Silver Surfer"
<h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote:

>Which brings to mind the original modem in this machine. It's a TelePath
>56k fax modem. In looking around the Gateway site I don't find any drivers
>listed for this device that pertain to Millennium, just W98 and NT. Is this
>going to be a problem?
>
>
>"pengulin" <peng@nowhwere.noplace> wrote in message
>news:tcKdnbsHmNfZPfPfRVn-3Q@midco.net...
>>>>> A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>>>>> Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of
>>>>> Millennium
>>>>> which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full
>>>>> version,
>>>>> possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on
>>>>> the
>>>>> machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after
>>>>> reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
>>
>> Presuming the OS loads OK, I doubt you'll have any problems with drivers.
>> Since it seems to be an older computer, Win ME should have all the
>> drivers,
>> if the hardware (sound, video, modem, HD controllers) aren't too obscure
>> and it's all original equipment. But if any new hardware has been
>> installed
>> in the system in the last four or five years, you might need to obtain
>> drivers for that hardware. The same is true for any peripherals you add to
>> the system (although you should already have drivers available).
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

OK. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:426ef3f1.32816770@nntp.charter.net...
> Try the 3COM/U.S. Robotics web site. Identify the model of the modem
> according
> to the part number on the sticker... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:03:53 -0400, "Silver Surfer"
> <h.mcguffinspamouflage@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Which brings to mind the original modem in this machine. It's a TelePath
>>56k fax modem. In looking around the Gateway site I don't find any
>>drivers
>>listed for this device that pertain to Millennium, just W98 and NT. Is
>>this
>>going to be a problem?
>>
>>
>>"pengulin" <peng@nowhwere.noplace> wrote in message
>>news:tcKdnbsHmNfZPfPfRVn-3Q@midco.net...
>>>>>> A friend of hers gave my daughter a Gateway 2000 with the original
>>>>>> Windows 95 installed. Would like to upgrade to my own copy of
>>>>>> Millennium
>>>>>> which is not presently installed on anything. The Me is a full
>>>>>> version,
>>>>>> possibly OEM, and will not install because it detects that W95 is on
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> machine. Will I have any trouble with the Gateway system after
>>>>>> reformatting the hard drive and installing Me from scratch?
>>>
>>> Presuming the OS loads OK, I doubt you'll have any problems with
>>> drivers.
>>> Since it seems to be an older computer, Win ME should have all the
>>> drivers,
>>> if the hardware (sound, video, modem, HD controllers) aren't too obscure
>>> and it's all original equipment. But if any new hardware has been
>>> installed
>>> in the system in the last four or five years, you might need to obtain
>>> drivers for that hardware. The same is true for any peripherals you add
>>> to
>>> the system (although you should already have drivers available).
>>
>>
>
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS