Upgrading G6 300

I recently got a free Gateway2000 G6 300, with Win95. I was wondering
what exactly would work on this system to make it run a better OS. I
have found some cheap RAM for it and was thinking about upgrading to
a P3 processor. What processor would work/be worth putting in it?

A 300MHz Pentium II system is restricted to running processors with a 66MHz
front side bus. This rules out any Pentium III CPU.

The best you are likely to do is to install a Celeron running at 533MHz, using a
slotket, a mini circuit board that plugs into the CPU Slot 1 with a Socket 370
for the Celeron chip. You may or may not encounter motherboard BIOS limitations
in attempting this, but slotkets and slower Celerons are dirt cheap and worth a
try.

A memory upgrade may provide more bang for the buck that a CPU upgrade. Try
3x128MB PC66 non-parity 168-pin DIMMs.

In any case, I would not consider running anything newer than Windows 98 on the
system. Well, maybe Windows 2000 is not too bloated to run effectively. But
Windows XP? Never... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:13:27 +0000, pantera_117@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(defaultUser) wrote:

>I recently got a free Gateway2000 G6 300, with Win95. I was wondering
>what exactly would work on this system to make it run a better OS. I
>have found some cheap RAM for it and was thinking about upgrading to
>a P3 processor. What processor would work/be worth putting in it?

Effectively nothing -- the whole system is worth $20 or so - it's just
not worth dropping any money into it.

defaultUser wrote:
> I recently got a free Gateway2000 G6 300, with Win95. I was wondering
> what exactly would work on this system to make it run a better OS. I
> have found some cheap RAM for it and was thinking about upgrading to
> a P3 processor. What processor would work/be worth putting in it?

Topher

> defaultUserwrote:
I recently got a free Gateway2000 G6 300, with Win95. I was
wondering what exactly would work on this system to make it run a
better OS. I have found some cheap RAM for it and was thinking about
upgrading to a P3 processor. What processor would work/be worth
putting in it?

I'll pay you for the power supply, motherboard, processor, and RAM,
and pay for shipping, if you'll sell it to me - I have that computer
and my damn motherboard got fried - and it's my baby

I have a dual xeon 3.0GHz with 1.5GB, .5TB, but I love my old gateway,
and would like to keep it still...

btw, if you don't want to sell it - I've got 192MB RAM in mine, and it
runs XP pro like a charm.... just thought I'd throw that out there. -
just make sure to have a good deal of RAM in it, and turn off as many
of the "pretty" visualization things in the performance settings...
basically tweak the mofo down so that it's using as few unnecessary
performance settings as possible, and it works great!

yeah.... so anyway, if you'd be interested in selling it, just reply
to this or PM me or something - thanks!

TRENDING THREADS