Question Upgrading GPU makes Windows not boot.

Dec 27, 2022
System:
MoBo: Intel dh77eb
CPU: i5-3570k
RAM: Some old Samsung 1600mhz (4x4GB)
PSU: Seasonic B12 BC 650W (Brand new)
Old GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 950 XTREME Gaming
New GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 GAMING (Bought used)

As the title suggests, I can't get my 1070 to boot into Windows. Putting in the 950 makes my PC function normally as If nothing happened. As soon as I put in the 1070 weird issues emerge, for example, my PC can't get past the BIOS screen 90% of the time, and when it finally goes through to Windows it promptly blacks out my monitor (usually 5-10 seconds in) and restarts the system not being able to boot into Windows again. One time (out of like 50 attempts) I got into Windows for a few minutes. I had barely enough time to get into the GeForce Experience application and it confirmed that it was a GTX 1070.

I bought the card secondhand from a guy who even let me test it (it worked perfectly on his system).

I tried everything available on the Internet: I tried to flash my BIOS and when I did, I saw it was upgrading from the same version that was already installed. After that I tried, as some people suggested a few months back, to buy a new PSU, which didn't work - the same thing was happening. Then I tried reinstalling Windows today, I allocated a 40 GB partition of my SSD and created a Windows install USB. After waiting for like a couple of minutes to boot into the USB, the new Windows version was installed. As I was going through the Windows setup (the one where you have to enter Microsoft login), it had a loading spinning animation with the text "Please do not turn off your computer..." and as that appeared, my screen froze. After 5 minutes of waiting I clicked the power off button and it started beeping frequently and loudly. Tried to load up the setup again, beeping once again. I searched up what the beeps meant online and checked my SSD connections - everything looked and felt firm. After that fiasco, I gave up and installed the 950 back into my system - everything worked normally.

If you have any help, please consider replying. Thanks.

But how would it be faulty if it worked perfectly on his system and I saw him unscrew it and put it into the box? He let me benchmark it and play a few games.
Try with a single ram module.

Try downclocking GPU slightly. Use MSI afterburner.
Reduce power target, reduce mem clock.

Did you install GPU properly? Did you connect all PCIE power cables properly?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed and new GPU installed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Apr 23, 2023
Usually this is problem with seating in the PCIe socket, NVIDIA have very good compatibility with all motherboards other than Dell. BIOS mod will not post 900 series and higher, it should be a reliable video card. PowerEdge 2950 and R620 only work with AMD cards in my experience.