Question upgrading GPU, will i benefit from the older one if i keep it installed too?

hello,
I'm upgrading my GPU from Radeon RX580 8GB to RTX3080 10GB,
I do have a spare PCIe x16 port, I wonder if keeping the older GPU can add to the performance, and if so in what aspects.
main usage: work, heavy 3D max animations, 4k after effects videos, gaming (PES21, F1 2021), plus some other stuff that requires less performance
current specs: PSU 850w, 4X8 32GB ddr3 ram, i7 4930k @ 3900MHz P9X79, v-nand + ssd drives

I would put my userbenchmark link but I'm not sure it is allowed here (UserRun/49324660)
I appreciate professional input on this, thanks

With RTX 3080 alone 750W PSU is required.
With RTX 3080 and RX580 in the same system you'll need 950W to 1000W PSU.

Unless you can designate part of workload to run on one GPU, another part to second GPU (used software allows it), then there's no point in having 2 GPUs.

Thanks for feedback
I have done some homework before deciding on the 3080, the 750w psu recommended by the manufacturer includes maximum load of all pc components including cpu, the maximum load by the GPS alone should not exceed 400w, the RX 580 would max out at around 200w.
I'm not sure about this but reading these numbers I think although a 750w might struggle, my 850w should handle the load.

But I wonder if I would actually get a performance keeping the second one, any ideas?

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
Thanks for feedback
I have done some homework before deciding on the 3080, the 750w psu recommended by the manufacturer includes maximum load of all pc components including cpu, the maximum load by the GPS alone should not exceed 400w, the RX 580 would max out at around 200w.
I'm not sure about this but reading these numbers I think although a 750w might struggle, my 850w should handle the load.

But I wonder if I would actually get a performance keeping the second one, any ideas?
No you won't gain performance with games. There are specialized programs that can use more than one GPU like crypto mining, CAD, etc. but that probably doesn't effect you.

Reactions: fadialkam

kanewolf

Titan
hello,
I'm upgrading my GPU from Radeon RX580 8GB to RTX3080 10GB,
I do have a spare PCIe x16 port, I wonder if keeping the older GPU can add to the performance, and if so in what aspects.
main usage: work, heavy 3D max animations, 4k after effects videos, gaming (PES21, F1 2021), plus some other stuff that requires less performance
current specs: PSU 850w, 4X8 32GB ddr3 ram, i7 4930k @ 3900MHz P9X79, v-nand + ssd drives

I would put my userbenchmark link but I'm not sure it is allowed here (UserRun/49324660)
I appreciate professional input on this, thanks
Mixing an AMD and an NVIDIA GPU is usually a nightmare to get drivers that won't conflict. Most people give up.

No you won't gain performance with games. There are specialized programs that can use more than one GPU like crypto mining, CAD, etc. but that probably doesn't effect you.
I'm coming to this conclusion as well, I'm better off using the 3080 alone as the older card will probably be a drag at this point, with no real life advantage at least in my case

only issue being that they are overpriced cause of the gpu market right now so not reccomended.
they are and it doesn't look to get any good anytime soon, I've been postponing this for a long time and the only reason i was able to get a powerful card at this rate is that i asked for it as payment for a 3D animation job

Mixing an AMD and an NVIDIA GPU is usually a nightmare to get drivers that won't conflict. Most people give up.
yes it sounds like a nightmare i can do without

thanks everybody for the input

jasonf2

Distinguished
Multi GPU solutions, unless mining, pretty much require secondary card interconnects. AMD has/had crossfire and NVidia has/had SLI. Both were in essence proprietary and incompatible with each other even though a motherboard might support both. Running multiple cards creates timing issues in rendering and as cards have become more powerful in the last number of generations the disadvantages weigh very heavily against the advantages. Nvidia has for all purposes only included SLI in the very top tier cards and AMD has retired Crossfire as far back as 2017. Nvidia has on the very upper pro level tier something called NVlink, but is not intended for consumer level gaming, but rather as a high speed bus for things like AI and engineering uses. Again it is Nvidia specific and mainly supported by the quadro cards. The fact that you are trying to mix and match brands in the first place is really a no go. The lack of additional PCI lanes in most mainstream hardware also is a restriction. Many motherboards may have two x16 slots, but most mainstream CPUs lack the 16 free additional lanes needed for the second card. The other thing is that software support is necessary to utilize multigpu and with the tech going away it isn't really being software supported nearly as much as in the past.

Even with all of this being said multi gpu setups were/are a pain and I really don't miss the headache they created. Setup was a bear and while they did help framerate, especially in early 4k loads there were all kinds of fidelity issues brought along for the ride. With the latest generation of flagships rendering at the levels they are there isn't really a place for the tech until 8k (or beyond) goes mainstream.