Upgrading home office network - need suggestions

G

So I got a slingbox for Christmas and I need more ports.

I currently have 5 windows xp computers, a printer, Apple time capsule w/wi-fi AP, and a vonage box connected to a Netgear 8-port FVS318 connected to another Vonage box which is in turn connetced to my dsl modem.

So I'm looking to move to a 16 port router with some type of QoS support so that I can prioritize the traffic from the vonage boxes so they don't cut out when I'm on the phone & transferring files or using my sling box.

I have been browsing around and I found Netgears FS116E but I'm not quite sure if this would be a good fit or quite how it would best fit into my network since it is a switch.

I have also been told I should look at something with gigabit capacity.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jason

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
So I got a slingbox for Christmas and I need more ports.

I currently have 5 windows xp computers, a printer, Apple time capsule w/wi-fi AP, and a vonage box connected to a Netgear 8-port FVS318 connected to another Vonage box which is in turn connetced to my dsl modem.

So I'm looking to move to a 16 port router with some type of QoS support that I can prioritize the traffic from the vonage boxes so they don't cut out when I'm on the phone & transferring files or using my sling box.

I have been browsing around and I found Netgears FS116E but I'm not quite sure if this would be a good fit or quite how it would best fit into my network since it is a switch.

I have also been told I should look at something with gigabit capacity.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jason

Linksys e3000 + DD-WRT = QoS Heaven

:)

G

First problem is that I can not mannage any of the traffic on my current router otherwsie any traffic/hardware connected to my current router will cause issues with my Vonage VoIP, so I need something that allows me to do so.

One of the the other issues I've run into is that all of this hardware and then some are running off of 4 outlets (8plugs) with at least a power strip each in this little 14x12 room I call an office. I'm kind of out of space for additional hardware, I'm surprised I haven't started a fire! So If I could prevent it I would rather just swap it out.

Which if I can't leads me to my other problem, it's been a while but I recall having issues with trying to bridge two 4 port routers. I think I had an issue to where some hardware on one router couldn't see the hardware on the other but I could still use the net. That's how I ended up with my current 8port.