Upgrading HP Pavillion 7915

I've tried to add 256MB HP Proprietary Ram to my computer which
already has 128mb. It will not recognize the new ram even if I
remove the original ram and replace it with the new Ram. Can anyone
tell me what's going on?

==============

The Pavillion 7915 has an Intel 810 chipset and requires PC133 unbuffered
unregistered non-ECC SDRAM DIMMs. If the 256MB HP proprietary RAM is slower
than PC133, buffered, registered or ECC, it will not work in an 810 chipset
motherboard... Ben Myers

On 27 Jul 2004 23:07:04 -0400, hoffstasi@sbcglobal-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (Kim
Hoff) wrote:

>I've tried to add 256MB HP Proprietary Ram to my computer which
>already has 128mb. It will not recognize the new ram even if I
>remove the original ram and replace it with the new Ram. Can anyone
>tell me what's going on?
>
>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

THE RAM IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL RAM EXCEPT IT IS 256 mb.
I moved the original ram between slot 0 and slot 1, works fine. I
tried three different brands of pc133 ram, none work. This is
driving me nuts! Could something else prevent the ram from being
recognized?

==============

One other possibility. SDRAM memory can be made from both high-density and
low-density memory chips. You can figure out which is which by counting the
number of chips. The 810 chipset does not like newer high-density memory.

"THE RAM IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL RAM EXCEPT IT IS 256 mb." This is
an oxymoron.

Count the number of chips on both your 128MB DIMM and each of the 256MB DIMMs,
and post your answers here. If you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the 256MB SDRAMs
are unregistered, unbuffered, non-ECC, then it is likely they have high-density
memory chips... Ben Myers

On 28 Jul 2004 10:07:21 -0400, hoffstasi@sbcglobal-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (Kim
Hoff) wrote:

>THE RAM IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL RAM EXCEPT IT IS 256 mb.
> I moved the original ram between slot 0 and slot 1, works fine. I
>tried three different brands of pc133 ram, none work. This is
>driving me nuts! Could something else prevent the ram from being
>recognized?
>
>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

This is the info on the memory sticks.. How do you tell if its low
density or high density if the number of chips are the same??

The 256mb, synch, 133mhz,cl3 ( has eight chips)
mt8lsdt3264ag-133d2 pc133u-333-542-z
s/c 38043400S1S (HP sticker)
p/n 1403134-001 ((HP sticker)

The 128mb, synch, 133mhz,cl3 ( has eight chips)
mt8lsdt1664ag-133e1 pc133u-333-542-a

If the 256MB memory stick has only 8 chips, the chips are high density. Low
density memory sticks are harder to find now, as they are now out of production.
Why? Because the memory foundaries no longer produce low density chips when
they can make more money producing the higher density ones... Ben Myers