Question Upgrading Lenovo T420 CPU

Nov 19, 2019
I have seen many people upgrading CPU from i5 2520M to i7 - 2670QM
on Lenovo T420.

Can anyone please suggest me other intel processor above i7 - 2670QM upto which i can upgrade.

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There really isn't one. Could probably cram a 3rd Gen CPU in there, but pretty low chance of it working. If Lenovo doesn't list it, no guarantee it will work. After that any faster CPU would require a whole new computer.

If you really want a faster processor, save the money and buy a more recent refurbished system.

CPU's on laptops can't easily be replaced, actually sometimes (if they are soldered on to the motherboard) they can't be replaced at all. That CPU is kind of old now, what I'm getting at is it really isn't worth the time or hassle to upgrade it. Usually the approved CPU upgrade list is so small and so specific that if you were to upgrade to an approved CPU you won't see that much of a performance increase, usually it is not enough to be worth the time and hassle. You are better off just saving for a new laptop.

Nov 19, 2019
There really isn't one. Could probably cram a 3rd Gen CPU in there, but pretty low chance of it working. If Lenovo doesn't list it, no guarantee it will work. After that any faster CPU would require a whole new computer.

If you really want a faster processor, save the money and buy a more recent refurbished system.
Thanks for reply

Nov 19, 2019
CPU's on laptops can't easily be replaced, actually sometimes (if they are soldered on to the motherboard) they can't be replaced at all. That CPU is kind of old now, what I'm getting at is it really isn't worth the time or hassle to upgrade it. Usually the approved CPU upgrade list is so small and so specific that if you were to upgrade to an approved CPU you won't see that much of a performance increase, usually it is not enough to be worth the time and hassle. You are better off just saving for a new laptop.
Thanks for reply