[SOLVED] Upgrading MB. Chipset removal?

Aug 22, 2020
I got a new motherboard and before I install it, I want to know how to go about the old motherboard stuff?

I've seen reinstalling windows but it's a digital license (I have it linked to my account I THINK).

The old motherboard is an Asus Prime H310M-A R2.0 with the H310 chipset.

And my new one will be a MAG Z390 Tomahawk with the Z390 Chipset.

What do I do?

I have a spare 240GB SSD I can Install windows on (From a USB Stick that's fresh) but wondering if I can just install it straight to my current one with no issues.

P.S. I have a EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply that has 2 4PIN for the motherboard which I have been told is ok as long as I don't overclock the CPU (i7-8700k) will it be okfor sure?

Solution
I have a spare 240GB SSD I can Install windows on (From a USB Stick that's fresh) but wondering if I can just install it straight to my current one with no issues.

That is a 100% maybe.

Swapping parts like this, there are 3 possible outcomes if trying to use the original drive and its OS:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails compeltely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

With a different motherboard, a full clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

USAFRet

Titan

That is a 100% maybe.

Swapping parts like this, there are 3 possible outcomes if trying to use the original drive and its OS:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails compeltely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

With a different motherboard, a full clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

Solution